• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission remove & replace

cdesopo

Member II
To make a very long story short, we had a dripless put in in the Spring and in spite of my asking the mechanic not to use a slide hammer to remove the coupling, he replied 'that's how we do it'. Well, just as Main Sail predicts, it now seems my tranny is shot.

Clearly, finding a competent mechanic is not easy around here and now I'm stuck at the dock. I'm not even sure where to begin with the removal as it looks like the motor mounts are part of the equation. Are there any threads on pulling the Hurth 50 from an 89 32-3 (or similar setup)?

Trying to save some of the season. Any leads will be greatly appreciated...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Expensive learning experience, and if/when there is a next time you will be a lot more assertive. (sigh)

That said, that model has had problems for years on a variety of boats and was likely on 'borrowed time' already.
There are good threads on replacing it with a new trans, which is supposed to be bolt-in replacement. Do some searches on the site, and I hope that other owners can chime in with their experiences.
Good luck!

cdesopo

Member II
Expensive learning experience, and if/when there is a next time you will be a lot more assertive. (sigh)

That said, that model has had problems for years on a variety of boats and was likely on 'borrowed time' already.
There are good threads on replacing it with a new trans, which is supposed to be bolt-in replacement. Do some searches on the site, and I hope that other owners can chime in with their experiences.
Good luck!
It seems even finding the ZF12M replacement isn't easy!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have had pretty good luck with my replacement Twin Disc MG340 which fit where the Hurth 50 had been, with only the cable attachment needing an easy modification, on my E30+. It might work for you.
Frank

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I feel you’re pain because I was once in your shoes. Like said, there are a lot of posts on this subject and here is my original. It’s long but informative I think. Good luck.

Last edited:

cdesopo

Member II
I feel you’re pain because I was once in your shoes. Like said, there are a lot of posts on this subject and here is my original. It’s long but informative I think. Good luck.

Thx. I've read the thread from top to bottom, maybe twice. Taking 3 weeks to find a mechanic so far (no luck). Way beyond my limitations & I'm finding nothing on DIY removal. Do you know if they had to pull the engine to get the trans out? Seems the rear motor mounts are part of the process.
Ericsons, Vikings, sagas, they all seem to be related...

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Thx. I've read the thread from top to bottom, maybe twice. Taking 3 weeks to find a mechanic so far (no luck). Way beyond my limitations & I'm finding nothing on DIY removal. Do you know if they had to pull the engine to get the trans out? Seems the rear motor mounts are part of the process.
Ericsons, Vikings, sagas, they all seem to be related...
They pull the old rebuilt transmission (a big mistake as I said in my post) TWICE because the first time it was put together wrong and the second time to replace it with the Twin Disc. I wasn’t around for both procedures (because of distance and lack of time) but I think the motor was lifted a bit in place to remove the old trans.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The aft end of the engine can be disconnected from the prop shaft at the coupling, remove heat exchanger and trans linkage, then jack up the engine slightly (small scissors jack) and unbolt the bell housing and remove it and the trans. Before this, put a hose clamp around the prop shaft so it cannot slide out of the boat as that would leave a big hole. Bad!

The twin disc replacement sounds like an excellent alternative, if a decent price can be found. I did a ZF10, perhaps now discontinued.

cdesopo

Member II
Thx, this is helpful. I'm thinking of trying to do it myself, or at least the removal part. I'm concerned with an exact fit as I'm not comfortable doing much more than remove & reinstall (not thrilled about that even).
I understand the ZF's are bigger & require some mods & the shift control on the twin disc is on the port side so requires mods.
I'd prefer finding a mechanic who has done these things.

JSM

Member III
Getting ready to do this operation on our 34-2 as the HBW 50 has started to slip (again). I have been calling around and have found that the MG340 seems to be out of stock nation wide and some are coming into the distribution center in mid September. Also have been told that the ZF10 is now special order only at $4000! I have a MG340 on order and will be installing it in Oct. after the boat is out of the water.

cdesopo

Member II
Getting ready to do this operation on our 34-2 as the HBW 50 has started to slip (again). I have been calling around and have found that the MG340 seems to be out of stock nation wide and some are coming into the distribution center in mid September. Also have been told that the ZF10 is now special order only at $4000! I have a MG340 on order and will be installin

cdesopo

Member II
Our transmission guy said to look for a ZF12, but it is about an inch wider & longer (& hard to come by as well). He only rebuilds the older Hurth if size is an issue.
Trying to rationalize putting thousands into a trans on a 30 yr old engine.

Cass

I was able to find a new Hurth 100 to replace the Hurth 50 that came on the 1982 Universal M25 on our boat. The footprint to the bell was identical, the tranny is 1 inch longer. Had 1 inch removed from the prop shaft to keep the rest of drive in the same place.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
You should check this PRM60 transmission out. I understand they are around $1000 new and appear to be a good fit to replace the Hurth 50. There is a little height difference in the flange height and you have to adapt the shifter to port side which they can assist with. I have no first hand knowledge but read a blog about install in a Catalina and worth a close look for sure.

JSM

Member III
You should check this PRM60 transmission out.
I talked to a transmission shop in Seattle who said that they had stopped selling the PRM because of problems with it. The shop that I'm working with here in Chicago also steered me away from the PRM saying that the trans was noisy, calling it a "screamer"

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Good to know as my only knowledge is "uncle google" and PRM website. Just too good to be true, as they say..

JSM

Member III
Here is where to find your new transmission. I worked with this company and they were very helpful.
Spoke to Sound Marine as well when I was doing my initial search. Very helpful and forthcoming with info on when the MG 340 may be available.
My yard recommended Federal Marine Transmissions in Countryside, Il. Both gave me the same honest info. and I decided to go with the local shop.
Meanwhile the Hurth has gone back to into non slipping mode.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Spoke to Sound Marine as well when I was doing my initial search. Very helpful and forthcoming with info on when the MG 340 may be available.
My yard recommended Federal Marine Transmissions in Countryside, Il. Both gave me the same honest info. and I decided to go with the local shop.
Meanwhile the Hurth has gone back to into non slipping mode.
My old Hurth became a very large and heavy door stop.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I'm curious what type of trans fluid everyone is using in their Hurth as the original spec fluid hasn't been available for years. From what I understand the current Dexron fluids are way to slippery and will cause issues.