• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Traveler upgrade

ChrisS

Member III
I'm considering upgrading my traveler, which is the original pin-stop system. I'd like to move the traveler a few inches forward (of its original location just forward of the binnacle) so I can get it out of the way of the autopilot, but that means that the track will span the cockpit unsupported.

Does anyone have a suggestion about models/brands? Twice now I have called Garhauer to talk about the upgrade, but can never get past the receptionist since the guy I need to talk to is always busy.

I see Harken has a captive ball-bearing system that might work. Is this overkill? I just want to be able to adjust the traveler more easily and precisely.

Also, if I move to a straight track, will this affect sail shape? Do I need to keep with the curved track?

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Harken

Chris- Take a look at Harken. Go to there website and get on "compu-spec". Its a interactive site that will ask you questions about your boat, i.e cruiser/racer, mainsheet location, traveler mount set-up, so on. It will then spit out all the necessary Harken #'s for you. You can call them and they will be more than willing to answer all of your questions on the spot. They will also bend your track for you to any radius that you need. Sorry, I don't know if changing the track to a straight one will affect "sail shape". I do know you will have to remove the old track. I replaced my system on my 25' a couple of years back and still to this day I will say that this was finest improvement that I have made. Harken is not cheap, but really worth it in realm of it all. If you shop right you will save some $. You always get what you pay for. Hope my little pitch helps you. Rob Hessenius

ChrisS

Member III
Rob--

Thanks for the tips, and I'll check out the Harken site and then give them a call. My boat sails so well when trimmed just right that I know this is a worthy upgrade. On thing is for sure: I need to get the mainsheet away from the autopilot/binnacle, as I can only adjust the traveler if I turn the mainsheet block sideways, or else it gets caught on the autopilot motor.

Last edited:

skipper007

Member II
Hey Chris,
I've been looking at every E32-2 picture I can find and found one where someone actually installed a binnacle guard between the binnacle and the traveler. They also dropped a 3/8" or so piece of stainless across the back at the height of their wheel mounted auto pilot to keep the sheet out of the ST4000.
I'm going to try it too. I've spoken to the Edson folks and it looks like their smaller binnacle guard would fit the YS. Then just a custom 1" tubing fab and attachment. It will be a while to get it done, after the rudder repair and all, but I'll let you know.
Skip

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Garhauer can be tough to deal with however the product is superior. They made a new traveler for my E38 and its probably strong enough to lift the entire boat. A very heavy duty unit. Wonderful craftsmanship but the customer service is lacking. If you chase them long enough it can be very worth it. I don't care for Harken. Entirely too much faith in composite and plastic. It may work on a race boat but for my cruiser I want metal. RT

ChrisS

Member III
Skip--

If you come across that photo I'd sure like to see it. I figure if I can get the traveler a bit more forward and can contol the main better than with the pin stops, it'll clear the autopilot. But I'd like to see the setup just the same.

We'll see where I can get with Garhauer. The Harken guy I talked with on the phone didn't think that a straight track traveler would affect sail trim too much, but I'd sure like to hear from any owners who have done this upgrade. I don't want to keep the traveler on the binnacle bridgedeck due to that autopilot interference.

S Ellis

Member I
I've got a straight traveller on my 32 and it works like a hot damn! It's a Harken and I believe its a 4to 1 purchase. Gives great control and plenty of power.
I'd like to see a shot of that binnacle guard......I used to have a binnacle but it jumped over the side a couple of years ago when my wife and I were racing!!! I had noticed it was loose and it was on my list to reattach. Unfortunately my wife gybed the main while I was on the fordeck dealing with the chute, and the mainsheet caught it and flipped it over the side!!! We did win a beer mug though! I now have my chart plotter mounted in it's place....don't want to lose that too.

Steve Ellis
Nanaimo B.C.
Diversion 1969 E32

ChrisS

Member III
Got through to Garhauer

I finally got through to Garhauer, and talked with Guido. The sell a mid-range 4:1 model for about $425. My other options would be a Harken "windward sheeting" 3:1 model that goes for $850 or a 4:1 model for about $700. While I like the windward sheeting idea, the Garhauer price looks good. So I'm probably going to go that route.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and I'll let people know how it works out.

skipper007

Member II
Check out the binnacle guard with ST4000 protection bar and the upgraded traveler. I'm going to attempt the guard before the traveler and I too will let you know.
Skip

Attachments

• traveler.jpg
    traveler.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 188

saildad

Member II
Hey Fellow Vikings
I have done the traveler upgrade to my 74 E 35-II and I can tell you that its one the best upgrades that one can do to our ole' Ericsons. The pull pin traveler is such a pain in the arse!
I actually thought about doing the whole new thing and I realized that I love sailing on a budget. In our harbor as in most they have marine swap meets. I finally found my new traveler at one such event. It is a 4:1 harken setup. I havent done the binnacle guard and it seems like a great idea. The thing is when I installed the system it moved the blocks forward a couple of inches and it hasn't been the issue it used to be. Of course we must be mindful od the mainsheet on those jibes still. I mean who amognst us hasn't bent there shift handle on a jibe?
I hope to have my whole upgrade project posted soon on this or the new website. I took so many pictures and wrote a play by play on the project. ARE YOU LISTENING SEAN? :egrin:
I guess my point in all this is to keep your eye out for a good deal. the track can be cut to fit your dimensions so if its a bit too long you can make it work.
Capt Bill
ON PORPOISE
Channel Islands Harbor

windjunkee

Member III
Chris,

We changed our traveller on our 32-2. It was a pain. We had Garhauer do it. The first time, the track came WAY too beefy, such that we couldn't affix it to the bulkhead so that it would clear the binnacle AND it blocked the the cockpit locker.
We sent it back to be re-engineered. It came back with a smaller track, but it took a long time. I recall being without our traveller for about 4 months.
It works great now, but it took us calling every couple of days to get them off theirs butts to make the track, which apparently had to be custom bent into the arc shape of the bulkhead.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2
Redondo Beach, CA

ChrisS

Member III
Jim--

Thanks for your insight. I actually read about your traveler experiences in some earlier posts you wrote--the 32-2 is so sensitive to sail set that months without a traveler must have been a real pain.

After going back and forth between Harken and Garhauer I have decided to pop for the Harken windward sheeting setup, mainly because the cleat orientation may be easier to use from both sides of the brigedeck. Harken has a track specifically designed for spanning an unsupported area, so I won't have to sorry about curving the track and fitting it on the bridgedeck.

The cheapest I can get the whole setup for is about $620 (on Sailnet), which is about $200 more than the Garhauer system. Which means that I will wait another month to make the purchase, but I do think I will have better sail control.

Glyn Judson

Harken Windward Sheeting System variation.

Chris, I too opted for the Harken system when replacing the original that was falling apart years ago and am very pleased with what I ended up with. I changed mine slightly from the catalog recommendations in that I bought the double sheave end controls for the track instead of the single sheave ones. With mine on the bridge deck at the front of the cockpit and with sailing safety in mind, the second upper sheave allows one to lead a long control line over the cockpit cushions all the way to the helm. My wife single hands great distances and this was designed to allow her to trim sail without leaving the wheel. Furthermore, that added sheave turns the lines aft for better overall control regardless of traveler location. Please feel free to email me back channel for a photo of how I lead the lines through the system. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA glynjudson@roadrunner.com

Walter Pearson

Member III
Binnacle Guard

Here's another approach to a guard for the Autohelm drive motor that can be done without the finality of welding. You do have to make sure the dimensions are right on so it goes together (short problem) and will be level (long problem).

Attachments

• Autopilot Guard1.jpg
    Autopilot Guard1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 128