• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trying to find a replacement M25 Oberdorfer raw water pump..help! [Solved]

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Folks I am trying to find a replacement raw water pump for my Universal M25, 5421. If anyone out there has a model number, please advise. This unit on my engine works fine, but I want a correct fitting Oberdorfer or Westerbeke for a backup to this old pump that has been sealed to keep from leaking..pretty obvious! Does not leak but is ill fitting. Can anyone help? Photo below and answer from one source. I also sent a photo and request and no answer yet to: www.westerbeke.com.

Larry Butchart (Fisheries Supply Support Desk)
Mar 17, 11:52 AM PDT

Sorry, we can't tell you which is right for your application.
Larry Butchart
Customer Service
206-634-4603
lbutchart@fisheriessupply.com

Attachments

• 522ABA51-7B8C-41DF-8548-6ECA725BEBB5.jpeg
    522ABA51-7B8C-41DF-8548-6ECA725BEBB5.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 36

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Folks I am trying to find a replacement raw water pump for my Universal M25, 5421. If anyone out there has a model number, please advise. This unit on my engine works fine, but I want a correct fitting Oberdorfer or Westerbeke for a backup to this old pump that has been sealed to keep from leaking..pretty obvious! Does not leak but is ill fitting. Can anyone help? Photo below and answer from one source. I also sent a photo and request and no answer yet to: www.westerbeke.com.

Larry Butchart
Customer Service
206-634-4603
Give Depco Pump a call. It *might* be the Oberdorfer pump shown on p. 138 of their catalog. They are a great source of info in any case.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Just received this reply:

Thank you for your inquiry.
Part number 301357 PUMP, SEA WATER is in stock and has a list price of $522.00.
There is also a kit for that pump PN 200212 – this is not currently in stock and has a list price of $354.20 and approx. 14-21 day lead time.
image001.pngimage002.png
Parts can be ordered through your Local Westerbeke Distributor/Dealer or our website www.westerbeke.com

Your email does not indicate your location however, you can locate your local distributor or dealer via clicking Locate Distributor https://www.westerbeke.com/distributorlocator.htm found at the top of any Westerbeke.com page along the blue line.

Thanks again for your inquiry. We appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Westerbeke Corporation
150 John Hancock Road
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone: 508.823.7677
Fax: 508.977.4330
www.westerbeke.com

Important Note: Technical information is provided for your reference and convenience. Westerbeke recommends that your engine, generator, or climate control system is serviced and/or installed only by an authorized Westerbeke distributor or dealer.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Is this the same Oberdorfer pump as used by the good ol' Universal Atomic Four? If so, Don Moyer has a new-and-improved version with better bearings and seals. He has two pumps on this page, one for the original raw-water side of the engine and another for the raw-water side of an engine that's been converted to freshwater cooling. I have owned the first one for several years and it has been trouble-free.

They replace Oberdorfer models N202m-07 and N202m-03.

Don further mentions: "NOTE: For Universal diesel owners, if you you’re currently using an Oberdorfer 202M-3 or 202M-7 pump, or the newest version of these pumps with an “N” prefix, your engine will already have the necessary adapting hardware that is required to convert to our MMI 502 Flange Pump. If you’re currently using a pump with four bolts in its mounting flange, you will need one of our adaptor plates and a shaft adaptor to convert to an MMI 502 Flange Pump (see product numbers DIES_01_560 and DIES_02_561.)"

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Thanks Tenders....gotta think this one through! I guess I am totally confused.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For what it's worth in real world terms I've replaced two pumps and ran into zero complications. Sometimes photos help clarify.

Sherwood 4.jpg

This was an old Sherwood. It was held onto the face of the M25 by clumsy brackets and only two bolts. It faced backwards, and looked jury rigged.

This is the face of the M25 block, with its four threaded holes.

water pump engine block.jpg

This is an Oberdorfer replacement. I think I bought it from Catalina Direct and it was the only one they recommended for the M25.

Oberdorfer installed.jpg

At least the original Sherwood required a slotted spacer to meet the axle by which the engine turns the pump. If you put it in wrong, the slots didn;t engage and the impeller didn't spin and no water came out the exhaust. So I would pull the pump, fiddle with it, and reinsert.

spacer.jpg

The Oberdorfer pump on the current boat went right on and needs no spacer.

Some models have an O-ring, some have paper gaskets, and my Sherwood was sealed only with gasket goo. I'd say that if the thing doesn't leak, good enough.

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Christian...just what I have been looking for! I can't read the Oberdorfer model number...too blurry...can you clarify?? And a big thank you!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
N202M16

Here is another one for price comparison. Moyer seems to be a bit more money but it may be worth it for the thumb screw removable cover. See Christian’s reference to the proper model #

1911tex

Sustaining Member
So many of you recommended the N202-M16 so that is the direction I went...Thank everyone of you so very much!! Stay healthy! Stay out on the water so you can eliminate the crowds!!!!

turkey11

Larry Butchart
Customer Service
206-634-4603
Hi Tex, after a lot of searching, I found someone, you, who has my same setup. I have confirmed they do not sell a pump with the two holes needed to fit over the studs on your adapter plate. Mine is fused with the block now and would not budge. I got a pump, but did you end up having to drill your own holes? I think I can do it right, if I screw it up, that is 380 bucks down the drain.