• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Turning the engine over (w/o power)

seapadrik

Hey everyone. First post. I live in Seattle Wasington (shillshole bay) and have a 1976 E29 with an atomic 4.

Unfortunately i had an incident where water got aboard the boat and managed to get in the crankcase. I changed the watery oil and added new oil and magical mystery oil per Don Moyer's recommendations on his site.

I have another immediate problem in that my starter/electric won't fire up, Just a lone click.

I have called out some marine electrical guys to take a look at that.

However, in the mean time i desperately want to turn that engine over by hand to get the oil mixed in good and also to change the oil again.

I do not have the flywheel turner that maybe came with some people's boat so I ordered the Ignition timing crank from Don Moyer.

While i await fior that to arrive there must be some technique for spinning that shaft around and advance the engine a revolution or two.
Any ideas? I think in the autoworld this is a cam shaft socket but I do not know if those will fit.

Thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you remove the spark plugs you should be able to turn the engine by hand using the alternator belt.

ref_123

Member III
You will need to look it up...

In our engine manual for M-25 there is a chapter about the use of the decompression lever. Apparently with it engaged, you can rotate the engine without much force applied. Not sure if it applies to your engine too.

Regards,
Stan

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
IMHO, unless you can crank the engine with the starter, or better yet actually start it, there is little point on changing the oil and turning the engine over by hand. Draining the contaminated oil out, take out the spark plugs and spray WD40, etc. in the holes, rotate engine a few revolutions by hand is about all you can do. With the plugs out the engine should rotate pretty easily by simply turning the flywheel, belts, waterpump pulley, etc. by hand. Turning it over slowly will not pump the oil through the engine enough to be effective on its own. RT