• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Twisted Shrouds

mfiechter

I'm looking at purchasing a 1985 Ericson 35-3 and noticed that the shrouds on the standing rigging are twisted around each other between the spreader and the deck. Is this typical on the 35-3? I've never seen this done on a boat before.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They should be parallel and not twisted. I wonder if the boat left the dock often or was sailed. That's pretty weird, altho it certainly might still be a good candidate.
The back story about the rigging would be interesting!
All that said, I'll bet your surveyor will have seen stranger things. :(

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Howdy,
I'm not sure what you mean by twisted. On our '86 E35-3 two of them connect at a common chainplate. Otherwise they don't intertwine. Below are a couple shots of our rig. These were installed just this year by a professional rigger.
E35-3 shrouds 2022 sm.jpg
E35-3 turnbuckles 22_11 sm.jpg
Good luck,
Jeff

mfiechter

Thanks for the responses, I'll snap a picture next time I get to the boat. Should be easy to correct just wanted to verify it was not SOP.
Cheers,
Mark

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I'm looking at purchasing a 1985 Ericson 35-3 and noticed that the shrouds on the standing rigging are twisted around each other between the spreader and the deck. Is this typical on the 35-3? I've never seen this done on a boat before.
Unless the owner has documentation showing replacement, I would add into the cost, the replacement of the standing rigging. I wasn't thinking about that when I bought my boat, but it is going to be 7-10K expense, depending on whether I need a new furler.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Unless the owner has documentation showing replacement, I would add into the cost, the replacement of the standing rigging. I wasn't thinking about that when I bought my boat, but it is going to be 7-10K expense, depending on whether I need a new furler.
I assume you had it inspected before sinking that much cash into it? It was suggested to me by quite a few people that I'd have to replace the standing rigging, but when I had it inspected, was told that it was in fine working condition. Just needed to tighten up some turnbuckles and screws.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Not the greatest of photos, but here are a few that show the standing rigging on my '85 35-3. (And say hello to my father while you're looking. ;) )
IMG_7363.jpegIMG_6008.jpegIMG_2867.jpeg