• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Two Women and Two Dogs rescued at sea

u079721

Contributing Partner
So everyone's probably seen the story by now of the two women with two dogs who were just rescued at sea a few hundred miles off the coast of Japan. They had set sail from Hawaii for Tahiti, but along the way their engine was disabled, and then their "mast broke", and they ended up drifting for months. Fortunately they had a water maker and plenty of dry storage food aboard.

But the photos of the boat show the mast still standing, with the main furled on the boom, and a genny furled around the forestay. So my first thought was why didn't they just sail somewhere? I'm guessing there must be more to the story, but we've all heard dozens of tales of singlehanders who have been dismasted and then rigged a stump of a mast and a jury rig to sail back to civilization. So why didn't this crew?

Attachments

• navy-rescue-01-ht-jef-171026_2_4x3_992.jpg
    navy-rescue-01-ht-jef-171026_2_4x3_992.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 298

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Do I see steps on the mast? Seems like they could have been climbed in a calm to fix the spreader "root."

Skark attack. I can't listen any more.

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Do I see steps on the mast? Seems like they could have been climbed in a calm to fix the spreader "root."

Skark attack. I can't listen any more.

It's great fun to read the many comments below that YouTube video. I haven't heard a sea story as full of holes as this one since I watched that wretched "All is Lost". Who goes to sea with a Geiger counter but no EPIRB?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It's now reported that they didn't activate the EPIRB they had.

Something smells fishy.

u079721

Contributing Partner
So it's been a couple of months since this circus, and I can't recall hearing any updates at all. Do they have a book deal? Movie of the week? Were they on Ellen yet?

Or did everyone realize there was something mighty fishy about the whole thing?