• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5411 Pump Impeller Change

stephene

I HAVE AN ERICSON 28+. IT HAS A UNIVERSAL ENGINE 5411. I NEED TO CHANGE OUT THE EMPELLERDOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?
THANK YOU
IMG-7485.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

stephene

The problem is mine seems really hard to access, which makes it impossible to change when you're at sea. I'm trying to figure out changing the empller.
Thank you

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The water pump is on the front of the engine (cabin end), as in the video, correct?

If you have any other photos that might help see what's going on.

It might be that your hoses need to be rerouted so as to provide better access.

stephene

The probelem is there are two empellers the one on the front og the engine I've changed the one on the back is really hard to get too.IMG-7488 (1).JPG
IMG-7483.JPG

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah. That's the original fuel filter, I think, on the side of the engine. My impression is they are frequently replaced with with a Racor unit mounted for better convenience, because old boats have crud in the fuel tank and filter changes become periodic preventative maintenance.

Some of us here have the 5411 and will know more.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Ah. That's the original fuel filter, I think, on the side of the engine. My impression is they are frequently replaced with with a Racor unit mounted for better convenience, because old boats have crud in the fuel tank and filter changes become periodic preventative maintenance.

Some of us here have the 5411 and will know more.
I wonder if he's talking about the heat exchanger, which has plates on both ends, but it's not a pump and doesn't have an impeller. Heat exchangers do need to be serviced regularly, and are hard to remove cause the hoses never come off easily.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can you follow the hose from the seacock to the raw water pump on the engine, and then to the heat exchanger?

That might be a good start.

stephene

The yellow is the impeller location and the blue are the 6 screw heads, and the red is the working space. This impeller is on the opposite end of a continuous shaft from the front of the engine which houses the raw water impeller.IMG-7493.JPGIMG-7495.JPGIMG-7492.JPG and on the

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Stephene, Can you back up a little and take a picture of the front of the engine ? Pretty sure the seawater pump is on the front of a 5411.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
5411 picture, I believe the pump is lower left ? Does this look like yours ?

Attachments

• 5411.jpg
    5411.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 16

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Fuel pump ? I would think the fuel pump is up above that where the injector lines are connected ? The hose size looks a little big for fuel too, don't you think ? After watching that video it looks like the fuel pump is on the starboard side of the engine.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks to me that "fuel pump" location is compatible with what the original poster shows--starboard side of engine block, under the throttle linkage. Yeah, the hoses are big on that model. Confusing.

This video is very useful for owners of the 5411, but I wish the guy had paid more attention to lighting and a steady camera. It's not that hard to do.