• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5432 Oil Filter Replacement

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I'm in the process of preparing for winterizing and looking to do the oil change next weekend before haul out. I'm trying to hunt down the oil filter replacement equivalent for the Universal 5432 engine and I'm going around in circles on the internet and have searched this website without much success.

The Universal oil filter part number is # 298584 what is an equivalent?

While we are at it the engine fuel filter part # 298854 appears to have the equivalent in the Fram P3726 filter.

Cheers,
Mike

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm in the process of preparing for winterizing and looking to do the oil change next weekend before haul out. I'm trying to hunt down the oil filter replacement equivalent for the Universal 5432 engine and I'm going around in circles on the internet and have searched this website without much success.

While we are at it the engine fuel filter part # 298854 appears to have the equivalent in the Fram P3726 filter.

Cheers,
Mike

I have found those cross reference lists in the past, and several other-branded filters came with our used boat. The thing is... that filter housing has to fit in with the 90 degree coolant elbow jammed against it, and the bracket and alternator. It's a very tight fit on our M25XP. I found that at least one of the ones found in our boat was just a bit larger in overall diameter and should not be used.

Note: the crucial measurement is the "fit" on the engine base, and it appears that several filters will fit that just fine.

Sidebar: Somewhere there is a thread with the info from an owner who used solvent to remove the Universal blue paint and he did ID the major name brand of filter and model he found under that paint, but it will take some searching to find it.
(Being conservative and lacking in imagination I have been paying more for the Universal filter for years.)

Regards,
Loren

ps: lots of hits with a bit of searching - here is one -- http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/fuel-filter-cross-reference.112792/
Note that the Cat 34 site is a great reference for Universal diesel lore.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
5432 Oil Filter

I have been using Baldwin B2 filters when I can get them. Currently I have a Bosch 3500 (Autozone) on it. I have also used Fram and Carquest filters.

Fram was the PH8A, I believe. I don't have records of the Carquest number, but they cross-referenced from the Baldwin number.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
WIX oil/fuel filters and Shell Rotella T Oil ordered through Amazon

After more digging around on the internet I found the following website to be useful. It is an after market gray market listing of equivalent for Kubota parts including filters. Seeing as the Universal 5432 is really a gold colored orange Kubota V1501 engine block they should be the same parts, in addition the filters cross referenced on other internet lists as well.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/gray-market-kubota-fuel-filter-part-numbers/

[url]http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/gray-market-kubota-oil-filter-part-numbers/

[/URL]
So I have ordered on Amazon prime with 2 day free delivery a WIX 51515 oil filter ($10.54), WIX 33390 fuel filter ($13.37), and 3 gallons of Shell Rotella T5 10W40 Synthetic Blend Heavy Duty oil for ($61.89). Hopefully it should all arrive before the weekend.

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner

Cheers,
Mike

According to my notes I have the following for the oil filter on the Universal 5432 engine on my E38:

Universal 299927
AC PF20
Lee LF16
Fram PH 43 (what I usually bought)
Purolator PER81
Motorcraft FL300

And while we're at it, for the fuel filter I have:

Universal 298854
Hastings HAS FF847
Fram P3726

Last edited:

Teedee

I know this is an old post, but let me add my experiences with my new to me 1990 Ericson 38-200 with M5432 engine. Maintenance records left by the previous owner indicated two different Universal oil filters #299381 and #299831. After stopping by the local Universal distributor, it was determined that #299831 was a non-existent part. Interestingly, when 299381 was pulled from the shelf and the box opened, the label on the part was 299831. If this was a systematic error, this explains the different part numbers in the service records. To make things more confusing, the distributor indicated part 299381 replaces filter 298852.

To make things even more confusing, the distributor looked up the part number for oil filter on the M5432 and it comes up as #299584. The gasket and threads on this filter match that of the 299381, but the size is about twice that of 299381.

The footprint of 299381 matched that of the engine, SPI stayed with that filter.

BTW, Westerbeke #35595 matches the Universal #299381

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
FWIW we have always used the NAPA Gold 1068 oil filter on our v1502 engine block Universal 5432. It has functioned well for us through 13 oil changes since we have owned the boat.