• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal Diesel Oil dipstick fracture

Shadsboat

Member I
Hi out there,
My oil dipstick broke off about six inches from the end (which end now sits in my oil pan). My engine is the 32HP Universal diesel that came with the Ericson 38 in 1984. Anyone know where I can get a replacement dipstick and if there is any danger in leaving the broken end in the pan? Appreciate any advice please.
Regards,
Shadsboat

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Dipstick part number

The dipstick part number is 298661, and is called "Gauge, Oil (dipstick)" in the parts list. Try a Kubota engine dealer, or a Westerbeke or Beta Marine dealer. It'll probably have to be ordered.

I don't know if the loose end will lie quietly in the oil pan or not.

I see you're in the Pacific NW. Gallery Marine in Seattle can order parts and check availability.

Last edited:

Shadsboat

Member I
Thanks

I was able to order the part successfully and they (the marine diesel place) think the broken segment remaining in the pan is likely fine. Silly dipstick cost $37 plus shipping. (and it's made of plastic). I appreciate your help.
Regards,
Shad
oFU2arrLM8wAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Shadsboat

Member I
wrong length

So I ordered the dipstick for my Universal M40 - 32 and it was the short version. I have the long tube version. Does someone know how (or can measure) how long the long version oil dipstick actually is so I can figure out how to check my oil?
Thanks,
Paul

Shadsboat

Member I
E 38 engine model M5432

So, I have been getting short oil dipsticks now from 2 suppliers and I am in a real bind with not being able to check my oil level!!!!! After examining the much faded/worn label on the top of my Universal engine I can see the model is 5432. It has a long extension tube for the oil dipstick and I need to get one of those rascals and fast. Anyone have any ideas please? I am guessing the actual length of the dipstick is anywhere from 18-22 inches.
Thanks,

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Why don't you call Jennings Equipment in Puyallup (253) 845-8801 / (800) 675-4253, if you can't find a dealer on your side of the Sound. Darrell is the parts manager. I just bought most of what I need to put my 5432 cylinder head back on from them and all the parts look like they'll work. They have a good Kubota parts search website and you can even check the pictures to make sure you get the long dipstick. The Kubota dealers will need a tractor model number and I used the L285 and L345 models to search for and verify what they suggested. I just took a quick look at both models and didn't find a picture with a dipstick extension tube or long dipstick, but there is a L285 with two part numbers but no explanation as to what the differences are. One is heavier and may denote that it is made of metal rather than plastic.

What is the oil capacity of your engine? Mine is about 10 quarts for an oil change. The specs for later 5432 or M-40 engines show 8.5 quarts. Perhaps that is why there is a difference in dipstick length, due to a change to the crankcase or oil pan.

I hesitate to suggest this, but you may be able to temporarily remove the extension tube from the block and try the dipsticks you bought directly in the block. This will probably make the dipstick harder to access, but might give you some peace of mind and allow you to operate the engine with some confidence. Good luck.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This diagram & list says your part # is 299968

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/c...ervice=200154&printoperators=200157&comment1=

Elsewhere on that site they says your engine is a V-1501 Kubota.

You might start at a Kubota dealer with that info.

Thanks for the above link, Keith. I was able to find my way to:

http://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ma...tion&finalcrumb=Universal+Publication+Listing

and download a Service Manual for the 5432 that has info I need to put my 5432 back together.

Shadsboat

Member I
M5432 Dipstick

Well, I finally figured it out... the extension tube and longer dipstick was likely something placed by Ericson at the time of manufacture (1984) to help with accessibility. When I unbolted the bracket on the extension the whole thing was able to be popped out of the block. Now it has the same configuration as all the block diagrams for my engine serial number and I will be able to use the standard (if somewhat hard to get) short dipstick. Be aware that when you buy the dipstick you don't automatically get the required two O-rings... I am so very relieved to be on track to actually knowing my oil level again!
Thanks to all who helped me with good info and advice!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Great, guys!

Craig,

Yeah, that site is the source for ALL the Universal repair manuals and the parts lists, which are two different documents. Handy!