• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal M25 Bleed Screw Stripped

Amontyg

Member I
I was replacing the on-engine fuel filter over the weekend and must have cross threaded the bleed screw on top of the filter bracket. I removed the filter and bracket and brought the bracket back home to figure out the best way of dealing with the problem. I did find replacement brackets online from a couple vendors, but they are around $180, so I'd like to explore other options to fix this before going that route. I have a few options in mind, and thought I'd poll the crowd to see what your opinions are.

Option 1 is to drill out the stripped hole and install a helicoil. The concern here would be that the threads may not seal afterward, although the screw has an O-ring that I assume does most of the sealing so as long as I get the hole drilled straight enough I think it may still work.

Option 2 is to drill the hole, tap and install a replacement brass bleed fitting I found at Autozone meant for repairing brake calipers. My concern with this approach is I have heard that brass and aluminum are a corrosive mixture and this may not last long term. My thought is that if I add enough loctite or yellow teflon there may not actually be that much contact between the two and this may never actually be an issue.

Option 3 is to drill the hole and tap to a larger size, and either find a new bleed screw or replace the screw with a standard bolt. Not ideal for bleeding the system, but should work to seal things off. If I go this route I'll likely remove or loosen the supply hose to the high pressure pump when bleeding.

Open to other suggestions as well that I may not have considered.

I included pix of the bracket in case ya'll don't know what I'm talking about as well as the brass fitting I'm considering.

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Or option #4 - Leave the bracket and that fuel filter off and add a Racor 500 series filter in it's place.

I'm not sure if you would need to add a small flat plat to cover where the bracket was installed, but that is possible. Maybe not necessary, though.