• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal M25XP for sale, used

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
1988 M25XP, Universal diesel. Three cylinder, 23 hp. Hurth 50 trans (believed to be 2 to 1 ratio).
Stock 50 amp alternator, and it does have the upgrade bracket.
Electric lift pump included.
Starts and runs fine. Glow plug heating takes only 12 to 15 seconds in winter.
Owned this since 1994, and present hours are approx 2317 on the meter and believed accurate.

There is some noticeable blow-by that is captured by a return hose led to the air cleaner. There are oil seeps/leaks around the pan. Exhaust does not smoke. Uses less than one quart of (multi grade ) oil per year, and oil and filter are changed every year.
Equipped with the optional oil removal hose kit to the pan banjo plug.
Original panel goes with it, and works ok except that the original key was replaced by an on/off switch in the early 90's.
The old wiring harness needs to be replaced or at least have both connector plugs removed and replaced with splices.

I plan to remove this engine within the next few weeks, and would like to hand it off to the new owner in our parking lot on NE Marine Drive, Portland.

See it start and run before it's removed.

Looking for $3K. but all offers considered. :0

Larger engine going in soon, so buyer gets all spares... belts, a usable heat exchanger, and some etc. There is a spare lift pump somewhere around here, too.

Attachments

• M25XP front .jpg
    M25XP front .jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Universal M25XP.jpg
    Universal M25XP.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
what

are you up powering to? Will it fit the original footprint? 3 Motor mounts? same size hose from intake thru hull? exhaust hose?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We are ready to pull the engine out, next week. Ad will go away soon. A friend is taking the engine.
I am re-powering with a Betamarine 25, and the footprint is very close. Exhaust hose, like many newer engines this size, is 2". New muffler, hose, and transom fitting will be needed. (The original exhaust hose started leaking last season and is more than due for replacement anyway.)

Same four point mount as the present engine.

Also plan to relocate the Racor (plus upgrade to a series 500) and move it outside the engine compartment. That will make it easier to service and also make the ABYC happy.

Interesting project, and luckily I have a local shipwright to help me through it, and he has installed a lot of Beta's.

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I have that same engine in my 87 E34 and do find it underpowered. Plus while the engine hours are not excessive, much like yours at 2450 hours, it is a little tired and no longer revs up to the full 3200 rpm (about) that it did when new. But according to the previous owner and other owners of that boat, it was always underpowered for my E34. So I am curious why you chose another 25 HP engine? Granted the new Beta engines are probably superior to the old Universal but I would have considered going up a notch to 30HP. Did the larger Beta not fit??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reasons and Rationalizations

I have that same engine in my 87 E34 and do find it underpowered. Plus while the engine hours are not excessive, much like yours at 2450 hours, it is a little tired and no longer revs up to the full 3200 rpm (about) that it did when new. But according to the previous owner and other owners of that boat, it was always underpowered for my E34. So I am curious why you chose another 25 HP engine? Granted the new Beta engines are probably superior to the old Universal but I would have considered going up a notch to 30HP. Did the larger Beta not fit??

Note that the present engine is rated at 23 hp, and weighs 285#.

The new engine looks to (hopefully) an easy fit, and given that the present engine has little room to spare, that's good.
The next size up (30 hp) weighs 306#, compared to 260# for the 25. The 30 hp is also approx 3 inches longer overall. While these are not deal killers, they would cause some changes in the engine compartment.

Our boat, at a design displacement of 10600#, is "smaller" and lighter than yours. The present 23 hp has been adequate, but really no more than enough.
As you also point out, new horses are stronger than elderly horses. :rolleyes:

We will also go from 50 to 75 amps output in the new alternator.
Further, I was already on the hook to replace the whole exhaust system this year and also all the engine wiring.

As an experienced mechanic told me, these little old diesels are so reliable that no one ever really HAS to replace one, but rather the owners finally get tired of chasing leaks and then start wanting newer features.

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I agree, my E34 is about one thousand pounds heavier so I really feel the underpower in high winds and/or heavy seas. Did you consider a Yanmar? I think they are heavier than the Beta for the same power level and probably larger and probably more espensive. The best engine mechanic in my area is a Yanmar dealer and when I had some engine work done, he suggested that when I finally got tired of being underpowered, he would happily install a "sweet' little Yanmar.

I once saw a survey which indicated that the Beta was a "better" fit for small sailboats such as ours but that if one planned international voyages, parts for Yanmar's were easily available, not so for Betas.

Captainken

Member I
Isn't this ancient history? Why is this post still showing up while I'm looking for an m25xp motor for my Ericson?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Isn't this ancient history? Why is this post still showing up while I'm looking for an m25xp motor for my Ericson?
A thread will 'show' if you search the site for that model diesel, and all such references will come up under results.
In fact my old engine went to a new owner several years ago.