• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Upgrading to modern traveler on early 70s Ericson 32

Hunter Cutting

I am looking at purchasing a half-share of an Ericson 32 from the early 70's. I'd appreciate any suggestions for issues to look for in particular with this boat.

Also, I'd very much welcome any information about updating the traveler to a modern arrangement. The current traveler has no cars, only two stops that are adjusted by hand.

Thanks

Hunter
San Francisco

SteveL

Member I
A lot depends on what condition the boat is in, how many upgrades have been done, and how you plan to use her.

In general, the 32-2 is a great boat for coast cruising. I recall the righting angle as 135 degrees, but if anyone else knows for certain, please correct me. I think of it as a Buick: not a Cadillac (Swan) but not your ordinary Chevy either (Catalina). It very solidly build, stable underway, and easy for two people to manage. Fairly easy to single-hand, too, if that is something you do. Especially if a roller furling has been installed.

The boat is almost 40 years old so you should expect that many of the things that would wear out over a couple of generations at sea have. Poor bedding of deck hardware can be a big problem as water entry may not be easily detected. The core of my entire foredeck was mush yet it still felt and sounded solid because the laminate was so thick. Check the chain-plates, of course. The wooden deck hatches almost certainly have seen better days but a leaky hatch won't keep you off the water. The portlights, too, may need attention.

The original engine was a gas-powered Atomic 4, which has its detractors, fans and devotees. My guess would be that most 32-2's still afloat have been repowered with diesel, but that's just a guess. This boat has more than average prop-walk in reverse.

There are threads on this site that address many of these issues. If you search "32-2" you'll see what owners are concerned about.

I installed a Harken traveler and have been very happy with it. My original traveler was on a curved track that was difficult to use when there was a load on the sheet. It's a pretty straight-forward project if you have two people working together.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

PDX

Member III
Garhauer makes economical, yet high quality, custom travelers to fit any space or curvature. And they come in a variety of profiles and purchases.

One aspect of the E32-2 that is somewhat rare among Ericsons is the compression beam supporting the mast (most Ericsons with deck stepped masts use a compression post instead). Check the mast plate area on the cabin top for settling or, worse, a dimple. Another way to check is to see if the door between the salon and head area closes freely. If there is a problem, there is a factory published fix that involves installing a steel plate under the door jamb.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The first thing I would check out very thoroughly is whoever your partner is going to be in this boat. Then I wouldn't do it.

Hunter Cutting

good advice

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Mark - your warning sounds particularly pointed - besides being good generic advice, might your caution for me be based on experience with the particular boat I am checking out?

The first thing I would check out very thoroughly is whoever your partner is going to be in this boat. Then I wouldn't do it.

SteveL

Member I
Hunter,

Buying a boat of this vintage means that work will have to be done sooner and later. How much to spend on what and with what degree of compromise offers plenty of opportunity for disagreement.

The issue is (sorta) whether you and the owner have the same answer to this question: "Are you buying a vessel in Bristol condition with the expectation that you will share in this upkeep, or are you buying a pretty darn good boat to go sailing?"

If the latter, why not have the boat surveyed so that you know where you stand?

S.

Matey

Member III
Here's mine

2 091.jpg

Garhauer 1-1/4" straiaght track moved fwd a few inches and engineered to span the cockpit (by Guido at Garhauer) I chose to leave room for a foot step outboard based on how the sheet clears the boards. I drilled out the old holes and repaired some rot from the bottom ( a bitch to get to) and I backed up the new 5/16" hardware with alum. plates. The whole bridge deck is coming off if the tackle does'nt fail first. All this said..If money wasn't an object and I had had allot fewer projects going when I did this one and I was keeping the boat forever I would have gone with a Harken. The fwd cleating arrangement I have is awkward short handed and the line tends to get bound up at times. It beats the hell out of the stock one though

Regards, greg

I'm in Richmond .. come over and pick my brain if you like. It won't take long :egrin:

Hunter Cutting

thanks!

Many thanks, Greg, for the photo, that picture is worth more than the proverbial thousand words.

Thanks, too, SteveL for your thoughts. A survey is a condition I would put on any offer I might make. The remaining owner seems dedicated to keeping the boat in excellent mechanical condition, but not Bristol looks - which is perfect by me. And the boat has important updates, like a Yanmar with about 100 hours on it.

I did a test sail today, and the boat handled a bit as I expected, not too different from the Cat 30 I've been sailing a lot recently. However, I found the hardware and lines generally to be "pre-modern," i.e. very little led aft, and mostly without any purchase.

Time now for me to fish or cut bait.

Thanks to all for the valuable thoughts.

Best,

Hunter

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
No Hunter, nothing specifically related to your boat, just my own personal experience. If it works for you, that's great.

I guess I would add, if this is not someone you have known personally for some time, be careful. Even if it is someone you know, as SteveL noted, you and your partner need to be on the same page as far as any maintenance, upgrades, etc. are concerned. You should also research drawing up a partnership agreement that puts in writing how the partnership and finances regarding percentage of ownership, slip fees, insurance, maintenance contributions, bank accounts, etc. are to be set up and maintained. (There are examples on the web; I recall one related to fractional aircraft ownership.) It should also include the conditions under which the partnership can be dissolved and how that would be accomplished. Make sure your partner cannot sell his interest in the boat to a third party without your consent.

Last edited: