• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

v-berth door on e29

simdim

Member II
Folks,
I am calling all e29 owners to chime in on this one ... the more our family (2 adults + 2 kids) spends on board the more we are asking "what were they thinking?" when it comes to v-berth door. When v-berth insert is installed and the door is closed - the head door can not be opened. And you can not fully close berth door unless the insert is removed. Had anyone modified the door to make it livable? :confused: I was looking at alternatives of rehanging the door to the other side but sure there is a better idea already in service from this forum.

Cheers,

tyrguy

Member II
Solution

I think the previous owner came up with a good way on our boat, remove the door all together.
I was thinking about rigging a curtain aft of the door to the head and the closet for a small dressing area and so I can leave the head door open for a little knee room.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, the PO of my boat removed the bifold door and left it on the berth. I fitted it in place and looked at the setup... then just took it home and stored it in the woodshed. I am curious about how people "live" with this in place. (BTW, I think this only affects the E29-MkI design?)

The only advantage I could see is if one were to try to put a pressurized shower hose in that space (letting it drain to the bilge.) But a shower curtain would be needed to cover the hanging locker anyway... Instead I find myself wondering how hard it would be to re-build the whole bulkhead into a MkII style arrangement. But it looks like the liner would not be at all helpful with that.

IslandTime29

Member II
I made an insert for our v berth and removed the door. It is sitting in our garage collecting dust and spiders. Gives more space at least visually. Not the best design to have a door right there anyways, but what do I know, thats why I manage an auto body shop and don't design boats!

Justin

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I think there were a lot of things designed into smaller boats that "looked good" and were probably eye candy to prospective buyers but had little practical value.

My door is also currently in my garage. I plan to reinstall it after doing some slight modification, but that door stays mostly latched in it's open position. The only time I usually close it is when I stay on the boat in the winter and run a space heater in the main saloon; helps to not have to heat the entire boat at night.

adam

Member III
I think the previous owner came up with a good way on our boat, remove the door all together.
I was thinking about rigging a curtain aft of the door to the head and the closet for a small dressing area and so I can leave the head door open for a little knee room.

My folding door was also removed by some PO.

And like tyrguy, I'm also thinking about adding a curtain so as to separate the v-birth from the toilet. It's on my _long_ list of todos.