• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Varnish, why not thin ?

Sven

Seglare
To get a good coat on it sure helps to thin the varnish, no matter what the Captains or Epiphanes cans say.

So, what's the drawback of thinning ? I believe the answer is a somewhat less glossy surface ? If that is the only problem then I'd thin every coat even if it takes more coats to get the same thickness.

Experts ?

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I think we may have talked about this in another thread, but I like the Captains varnish and thin it up to 50% for two or three coats then 25% for a couple more then unthinned for a final coat or two. A neighbor at my previous marina recommended cutting the varnish with Flood Penetrol to help levelling and give a smoother surface and it seems to work. When I last did the hand rails they had a mirror finish when done.

Fortunately I have only two cabintop hand rails to varnish, but I did refinish my companionway hatch boards and put about 8 coats on, using straight Penetrol as a primer coat then varnish cut with Penetrol and finally unthinned varnish for the final or maybe the final two coats. Seems to be holding up well. My hand rails need to be revarnished, but it has been a year since last done. (I also had Sunbrella covers made for the hand rails to protect them and extend the time between varnishing.)

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark,

We did discuss the general topic. We too have sunbrella covers almost everywhere it is needed.

What I was really getting at with this thread was "why not thin since it makes the job so much easier ?"

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I say any method that makes it easier and still look great is worth doing. I agree, why not thin? I have not seen it result in a less glossy finish, especially with multiple coats.

What WILL result in a ruined finish is varnishing too late in the day and getting condensation on the surface. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

upnorthfrank

Member II
What exactly are ya pushing around on wood?!? Is it regular old spar? Two-part polyurethane? If it's not epoxy I say cut it 40% & get a nice brush too!!!

I went back to brushing more fun than spraying anymore for me!!! I'd rather clean a brush than a gun...