• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Vented Loop in Exhaust Hose

SteveS

Member II
I have an E27 with a Palmer P60. This is a raw water cooled engine with a water lift muffler. The exhaust hose currently rises from the muffler to the top of the lazarette then loops back down to the thru-hull outlet. Should I place a vented-loop in the exhaust line? Thanks in advance.

Steve Slaughter

Attachments

• mufflersmall.jpg
    mufflersmall.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 422

escapade

Inactive Member
vented loop

As long as the top of the exhaust hose is above the water level (even when heeled over), water won't siphon back into the engine and a vent is unneccessary. On my E30 & E34 the exhaust hose loops to the top of the lazarette on the cockpit side (centerline of boat). In this location the water would be knee deep in the cockpit before any would siphon back. Of course, the water level would be much lower if the exhaust was against the hull. Hope this answers your question.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
However, if you have a following sea you probably could flood the engine when it is not running. That's why Ericson put a seacock on the exhaust thruhull (at least on my boat).