• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Very interested in a 1971 E35 ll

Rick D

Hi everyone, first time here. I currently own a catalina 27, I've had it about 6 years, great boat, love it.But theres a 35 thats come up for sale at a great price right down the street from me.I've cheked the the boat out a least 5 or 6 times, had a couple friends check it out. Jumped around the deck, tapped with mallets, great shape, new sails, diesel,radar, gps, hot water....For the age this boats in remarkable shape.I love the lines this boat has,with the old fashion overhanges.Next step is bite the bullit and get survey and hope it's is good as I think it is.I'd like to hear some feedback on E 35 ll and current values. Thank You

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unrequested Wry Observation...

Hi everyone, first time here. I currently own a catalina 27, I've had it about 6 years, great boat, love it.But theres a 35 thats come up for sale at a great price right down the street from me.I've cheked the the boat out a least 5 or 6 times, had a couple friends check it out. Jumped around the deck, tapped with mallets, great shape, new sails, diesel,radar, gps, hot water....For the age this boats in remarkable shape.I love the lines this boat has, with the old fashion overhangs. Next step is bite the bullit and get survey and hope it's is good as I think it is.I'd like to hear some feedback on E 35 ll and current values. Thank You

I am no expert on the 35-2, but it occurs to me that if we all approached marriage the way you are shopping for a boat, there would be a lot less divorce!
:esad:

Welcome to the Ericson bbs.

Happy New Year,
Loren

ps: Strictly IMHO, but the C-27 was one of the best sailing Catalinas ever designed -- proportionately much better than the 30. (No expert am I on this, but have crewed on both designs)
:cool:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am no expert on the 35-2, but it occurs to me that if we all approached marriage the way you are shopping for a boat, there would be a lot less divorce!
:esad:

Welcome to the Ericson bbs.

Happy New Year,
Loren

ps: Strictly IMHO, but the C-27 was one of the best sailing Catalinas ever designed -- proportionately much better than the 30. (No expert am I on this, but have crewed on both designs)
:cool:

Yes, but how many potential wives would agree to a "survey"??? ;) RT

CaptDan

Member III
Hi everyone, first time here. I currently own a catalina 27, I've had it about 6 years, great boat, love it.But theres a 35 thats come up for sale at a great price right down the street from me.I've cheked the the boat out a least 5 or 6 times, had a couple friends check it out. Jumped around the deck, tapped with mallets, great shape, new sails, diesel,radar, gps, hot water....For the age this boats in remarkable shape.I love the lines this boat has,with the old fashion overhanges.Next step is bite the bullit and get survey and hope it's is good as I think it is.I'd like to hear some feedback on E 35 ll and current values. Thank You

I agree with Loren, the C27 is an excellent design. If memory serves, it scored top points in favorite sailboat of that size range in a Good Old Boat Magazine survey few years back.

That said, and though I'm partial, I believe you'd be thrilled with an E35II - not just from an aesthetic standpoint, but in performance, interior layout and build quality. The hull is bit tender and develops weather helm easily, but that can mostly be mitigated by trim and sailing technique - a small price for lively performance

Here are a few things to watch out for - particularly in that vintage.

The 69-72 E35IIs often carried wooden spreaders; later years were aluminum. You'll want to check that; hopefully the spreaders were upgraded. If not, the wooden ones (assuming they're in place) should be inspected for rot and integrity.

The big 'gotcha' with these boats (as with many others of that age) is water intrusion into the main bulkhead. The cap shroud chainplates are covered with mahogany boards at the far corners of the bulkhead in the salon. These can be removed by drilling out the plugs and unscrewing the covers - a task I STRONGLY recommend doing. The only way to know FOR SURE that the bulkhead isn't rotted is to remove those covers for a throrough look-see.

The second biggy is balsa delamination in the decks; if you've already sounded these with a mallet, do it again. Despite the bad stories one may hear, not all good old Ericsons suffer spongy decks, but you don't want unpleasant surprises after the sale. The boat should also be hauled, and the bottom checked and surveyed as well.

As to current value - given the vintage, diesel engine, equipment, and condition - expect a range of approximately $14-20K. But given today's economy, and motivation of seller, this is ONLY a rough guess.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I hope this works out for you.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The only way to know FOR SURE that the bulkhead isn't rotted is to remove those covers for a throrough look-see.

The second biggy is balsa delamination in the decks; if you've already sounded these with a mallet, do it again. Despite the bad stories one may hear, not all good old Ericsons suffer spongy decks, but you don't want unpleasant surprises after the sale. The boat should also be hauled, and the bottom checked and surveyed as well.

I think Capt. Dan is spot on there, and I would reaffirm his point about the main chainplates by saying that if the seller does not want to pull the covers off, you need to make it a deal breaker - if you end up having to replace the bulkheads, you will be looking at a repair bill well into four figures.

Also, I have always wondered how valid the standard test for rotten deck is when the deck is frozen, and whether moisture within the deck that has frozen will give more of a ring than it otherwise would. I am assuming that it has been below freezing in RI for a month or two now.

With regard to overall value, that is impossible to say much at all without knowing what work has been done, and the quality of it. If you peruse the adverts at Yachtworld et al over a period of time you can get some feel for what the boats are worth. The survey should also give you some idea, and feel free to ask here about any work recommended by the survey, as the chances are somebody here has done it.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Howard Keiper

I'm curious about the diesel. I'm not exactly sure that a diesel was factory installed in a '71...could be, I just don't know. I've never seen a diesel repower that I liked.
I (we) have had Sea Quest for 32 yrs or so and love her. We've done considerable sailing in the NE from Manasquan to Newport (bought her in Noank) and places in between; now we're on the west coast. Sailing in the SF bay area is a bit more rigorous...but she's a thoroughbred..and still the best looking boat on the bay.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

John Wressell

Member II
1971 E35 Ii

We have a 1983 35, Mark III and couldn't be happier with her. I can't comment very much on the Mark II but I would caution you inspect the balsa core in the deck. We had to have about 12 feet of deck replaced on the starboard side and it's not an inexpensive process. Both models use the same kind of coring and you're going to want to have a survey done with a mosture meter which is far more accurate than tapping it with a mallet. This should be done when there is no chance of ice in the coring which will give a false reading.

Good luck, Ericson made wonderful boats and you'll enjoy her.

John Wressell
Stamford, CT

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Loren

You might have something there. I have owned nine boats in my life and been married three times. I still have six of the nine boats and none of the three wives. Judging from that I am a lot better at picking boat than wives.

But I like boats better than women, my E29 will take care of me if I just show up at the helm and do my best, she never gives me any grief about anything and if I go out on another boat she says nothing.

Glad I got a divorce and didn’t sell my boat.

ChrisS

Member III
Chainplates

The above comments regarding the chainplates and the bulkheads are right on. The first thing I do when we get a big storm here is go down to the boat and inspect all areas for leaks--as Dan notes, you do have to remove the interior covers (I don't bother to replace the plugs) and look for moisture. Good Old Boat had a piece last year about inspecting the bulkheads and refitting the bolts: one thing to look for is any "tipping" of the bolts; another sign that the chainplates are working loose from the bulkhead are spiderweb cracks in the gelcoat on deck.

As an aside, I feel that the metal covers that the chainplates slide through on deck are counterproductive, and just channel water through those two bolt holes-- and the plate squeezes out most of the sealant, so it's hard to keep enough there to be flexible. The port side chainplate on my boat came without this metal cover, and when I rebed the chainplate I blocked off a rectangular area and skimmed out a nice thick layer of sealant. In almost three years it's never leaked, while I have rebedded the others every season. I did order some butyl tape, and so next time I rebed I'm going to see if that works better than polysulfide for this application.

CaptDan

Member III
Don't know where I got the notion she is a '71.
Sorry about that
hk

Woops. I almost corrected myself when I noticed the original poster's subject line: '71 E35II.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think Universal diesels were options - even on the early series E35IIs. But for the most part, the A-bombs were standard powerplants through at least the mid 70s.

As far as repowers, I've seen some nice upgrades done with Beta Marine diesels. The 23 and 28hp models mount neatly in the mid-ships engine box with little structural modification necessary.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Rick D

CaptDan

The boat we repowered with a westbeke 30.But your right, I'm not crasy about the fit,they had to modify a little woodwork to make it fit,and accsess is lousy from the sides.One secord I want the boat,then on the other hand my C27 is perfect. But , I'll be back on It tomorrow checking it out againe , thanks.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I'm not 100% certain, but I think Universal diesels were options - even on the early series E35IIs. But for the most part, the A-bombs were standard powerplants through at least the mid 70s.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

My owner's manual lists a diesel as an option, but without any specifics at all. I have heard from several yards familiar with the boats that the diesel engine was a four cylinder Universal (except one yard said Westerbeke) that went out of production a long time ago.

After watching the A4 v. Diesel debate for a long time, I have come down on the side that would see a diesel installation as a worthwhile upgrade, as long as it was done properly; access problems can be mitigated with basic capentry.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Last edited:

Howard Keiper

I would seriously consider a diesel replacement for my trusty A-4 if it weren't for the sloppy jobs I've seen on most installations so far. I really like the interior carpentry on my '35 and would hate to see it disturbed in any way. Maybe that's the answer...have the install done by a carpenter, not a mechanic. "Drop in replacements" simply aren't....in my experience, anyway.
hk

Ernest

Member II
E 35 II engine change?

Don't forget that you will also have to change strut and cutlass, propellor and shaft, along with (usually) engine beds height, and modify fuel lines for return fuel flow.

LarryBud

LarryBud
Ericson 35

All the comments are valid and warrent your consideration. I just have one thing to say - I bought a 74 Mark II almost a year ago and I love it, even along with all the things that go wrong at the wrong time on a 35-year old boat. Good luck with your decision.

Rolf

Inactive Member
Here are a few things to watch out for - particularly in that vintage . . .

The big 'gotcha' with these boats (as with many others of that age) is water intrusion into the main bulkhead. The cap shroud chainplates are covered with mahogany boards at the far corners of the bulkhead in the salon. These can be removed by drilling out the plugs and unscrewing the covers - a task I STRONGLY recommend doing. The only way to know FOR SURE that the bulkhead isn't rotted is to remove those covers for a throrough look-see.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Captn Dan is absolutely right. I own a '79 E35-II (Sirius, previously Simba, previously Sirius)and have suffered a dismasting as a result of this very issue. BTW, when I removed the old bulkhead I discovered an expertly concealed rotten bulkhead with a 1/4" mahagony plywood lamination. A beautiful job. This piece was not rotton at all. The 3/4" bulkhead however just disintegrated with finger pressure. Surveyor did not pick this up. I owned the boat for 6 years and started racing when she gave way. I have since completely rebuilt her and refitted her with a new spar. Total cost >$32000. She is now an incredibly solid boat and is competitive in a local fleet. Be very careful and don't take anyone's statements and/or conclusions as being the complete facts!

rolf

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
when I removed the old bulkhead I discovered an expertly concealed rotten bulkhead with a 1/4" mahagony plywood lamination. Be very careful and don't take anyone's statements and/or conclusions as being the complete facts!

rolf

Indeed. When we bought 'Kunu' I suspected something dire was happening to the bulkhead, because tell-tale water streaks were visible beneath the port chainplate covering board. My suspicions were right - the board hid a basketball sized HOLE where the bulkhead used to be, with the chainplate hanging in space.:esad: The only thing holding the port shrouds in place was the deck.

The good news was, the surrounding area of the bulkhead was still solid, so I was able to scarf in a new piece, using 3/4" marine mahogany ply, glass and West Systems epoxy. Fortunately the covering board hid the surgery, otherwise I would've been forced to replace the entire bulkhead. Still, it was a big job, requiring extensive disassembly and modification of components in the head.

Again, any survey of these boats is NOT complete unless:

1. Those covering boards are removed and the bulkhead inspected, or

2. The boards were already removed by a PO and the chainplates are visible and exposed.

Accept NOTHING less from a surveyor, and if a seller refuses to allow the inspection - walk away.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

steven

Sustaining Member
Glad to see this thread. Just found that the top bolt on my star. chainplate is hanging in space - fortunately, only golf ball size hole. Rest of the bolts are ok - solidly in wood - no signs of having ever been wet. Port side is also ok (thanks I think to slight star. list). Completely missed by the surveyor - though I don't see how - its right out in the open if you open the cabinet.

Been thinking of facing the top part of the bulkhead with a ss plate and bolting the upper bolt of the chain plate to it. Assuming its done correctly, any reason that won't work?

Advice welcome. Thanks.

--Steve