• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Viewing a 35-3 soon, any suggestions?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I should post a sticky "Thank You" atop this thread. :) Had read those threads you linked already, as they always popped up when I did a Google search. Much obliged for the hint about finding the manual.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Question. Say, hypothetically, a sailboat had a foot of water in it for a week because a yard didn’t seal a new stuffing box properly. And then, say, it had more water in it a year or so later after a heat exchange tube broke. Yet that same boat has been used and sailed to distant areas after both incidents. Would that be a sailboat anyone here would purchase?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Question. Say, hypothetically, a sailboat had a foot of water in it for a week because a yard didn’t seal a new stuffing box properly. And then, say, it had more water in it a year or so later after a heat exchange tube broke. Yet that same boat has been used and sailed to distant areas after both incidents. Would that be a sailboat anyone here would purchase?
As long as the water was removed in a week, I would inspect the bottom of the bulkheads for any veneer separation and if solid, go ahead. I am not sure how long of an exposure really damages the wood.
Back when we bought our boat, there was light salt water staining up about 2" on the bottom of the bulkheads, and we just figured that there were enough gallons in the shallow bilge that it sloshed around and above the top of the sole when tacking in heavy air in SF. The wood was solid. Later I cleaned and bleached the bulkheads, gave them a light sanding and applied coats of varnish. They look great, and it's not just me saying so.

Wishy washy answer...... "it depends"..... Did the wood soak for less than a week, or "about a week"? How do they look now?
EY used high quality solids and veneers in the 80's, in my experience. So that makes a difference too.

Our boat had a 'leaking' stuffing box (i.e. too much water coming in) when we bought it. I pretty quickly decided to change to a PSS Shaft Seal.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What Loren said.

If you don't see damage or staining of the wood sole and furniture, no issue.

You could post a photo for comparison to typical floorboards and other low stuff.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I see a (extra?) battery under the port side settee - that's were I'm planing to add an extra battery.
But, I think I see a fuel tank outboard of that battery(?) - is that what it is? Interesting! I wonder how much extra fuel volume it provides.
Is that normal for the 35-3, or an extra tank? My 32-3 only has a fuel tank under the quarter berth.
nquigley, As a side note to you on this discussion, I have a E32-3 and have two 4d AGM "house" batteries under the port settee, just forward of the nav station. They are positioned towards the center of the space with a little left over for some storage towards the port side which is where I keep spare parts. Another smaller "starter battery is located under the nav station seat along with some other electronics. Sorry that I don't have a photo to post of the set up.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Want to again thank everyone for their input and advice. It was invaluable. Looks like I'll be sticking around for a while, as we are proud (survey pending) owners of a 1985 Ericson 35-3. Look forward to soaking up all the knowledge available here.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
We are officially part of the Ericson family. She surveyed very well in and out of water, and we closed earlier this week. Sailing her to our marina this weekend. It's quite a feeling. Want to thank everyone that reached out, in this thread and in direct messages, and the entire Ericson Yachts community for the plethora of info made available here.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congrats. If you are interested in a video record of typical renovations of an '80s boat here's a playlist.
Once you look thru those, there are blogs on the site that discuss repairs, upgrades, and renovations of other similar boats and systems by EY.
I would guess that some of the same guys built out our boat three years after yours.
And, all of the systems and hardware came off the same shelves.
Oh, and Congrats!!
:egrin: