• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Vikings invade the Blake Island race?!?!?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
From Tom/Karin (Achates)

"Do want everyone to join us in the Blake Island race on June 8th. Starts and ends at the Mannette Gazebo with Post race party at the Bremerton Yact Club on Phinney Bay. Contact John Sprouse 360 471 4540 : jsprouse01@gmai.com"​

I think it sounds like a blast. 15 mile course, currents going the right way for that day, party afterward. I'm not sure of my work schedule, but am going to TRY to make this.

Would love to make it a mini-rendezvous for the South Sound vikings who may not be planning on coming to Anacortes in July

(Kenneth, I'm looking at you....)

Bruce

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I'll be doing that one on the Schock I race with, but it would be a hoot to see y'all out there :)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'll be doing that one on the Schock I race with, but it would be a hoot to see y'all out there :)

Awesome!

I haven't totally decided if I'm going to do the race or not. It's ~40nm each way, in the busiest month of the year (our "fiscal year" at MSFT ends June 30), and... I'm still trying to fight the addiction.

I'm mostly going because Tom and Karin are awesome and I want to cross paths with them.

If I don't end up taking my boat, I'll let you know.... maybe there's a spot on the Schock I could sneak into? Back in those dark days of my addiction, I spent a TON of time racing Schocks in the SoCal 1-design class circuit.

Bruce

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
I spent a TON of time racing Schocks in the SoCal 1-design class circuit.

Pretty sure you raced on this exact boat, from a prior conversation - sail #77707, previously "Schock Therapy" (though I think every single Schock was once named Schock Therapy, or Electroshock, etc)

Keep me posted on if you successfully fight off the addiction or not, and I'll ping the captain as needed :)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Pretty sure you raced on this exact boat

yeah. raced against it a ton in SoCal when it was Tom Schock's personal boat, and then raced with the 1st owners up here (Todd and Cheryl, who used to run the Schock dealership in Lake Union) for a couple of years when I first moved up here.

One of my more amusing memories was the first PSSR ("spring regatta") I did after moving up here. The guys I raced with in SoCal had just won their 3rd straight Schock-35 national championship, and I figured it would be fun to have them show the new owners what the boat could do, so I flew them up. About a half hour into the race (typical March, as it turns out, mid-40s air-temps, biting-cold breeze) we started feeling this low-frequency vibration all through the boat. I checked around, rig was fine, no water in the bilge, prop wasn't freewheeling... nothing apparently wrong, until I checked in with the guys on the rail and found that "Taz", my SoCal mast guy, had only brought shorts and flip-flops, and was shivering so hard it was shaking the whole boat.

Yeah, spring weather in PNW isn't quite shorts-and-flip-flops weather, as it turns out.

Gaaaah. can't believe this is worming its way (back) into my brain.... (laughing)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Would love to make it a mini-rendezvous for the South Sound vikings who may not be planning on coming to Anacortes in July

What were you thinking for a meetup point?

I won't have my June work schedule till mid May so I wouldn't be able to commit until then. Could be fun.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
What were you thinking for a meetup point?

Hadn't thought it through that far yet.

If I make it (still not a sure thing, June is crazy for me), I'd come down Friday, stay at or near Bremerton Friday and Saturday night, and head back to Everett on Sunday.

If we get a mini-rendezvous going, there are a number of marina options... Bremerton, Port Orchard, Kitsap, Eagle Harbor.... open to ideas.

Bruce

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Part of me votes Eagle Harbor because it's my backyard but then I don't get to sail there :)