• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Vinyl backed Sunbrella: Mildew???

sailingdeacon

Member III
I'm about to replace the dodger and bimini on my 87 E34. It was suggested for the top portions, that I use Sunbrella with the vinyl backing to insure waterproof... and to eliminate regular waterproofing with sprays. I've check around and see that Sunbrella has a Sunbrella Plus 8400 Marine series which appears to be the tradional marine version. To get the vinyl backed version appears to come from a company Para-Tempotest amd/or Dickson which is owned by Sunbrella. I've seen the vinyl backed version and it looks super. I am definitely thinking of using it for the bimini, but wonder it might cause mildew since I dont see how it can breath with the vinyl. I've seen that caution at one web site, but no others. Clearly Sunbrella touts their traditional sunbrella for breathing. I also am considering the vinyl for the top part of the dodger but on my previous dodgers, have seen mildew there on the sides after the fabric is several years old. The boat stays in a NC humid, hot area in the summer.

Any one with experience here?

Captron

Member III
Seamark

FWIW,

I just built a new bimini, side curtains, windshield for our E38. The top is made from Seamark which is Sunbrella coated with vinyl on one side for waterproofing. Seamark is 11.5 oz compared to 9 oz for regular Sunbrella. Since it is Sunbrella to start with, the colors of the fabric side match regular Sunbrella. This is good since you only need to buy Seamark for the waterproof parts. You can use regular Sunbrella for everything else and it will match.

I don't know if it will have a mildew problem or not but I suspect yes based on our shakedown cruise this past weekend.

When I got up Sat morning the inside (vinyl side) of the bimini was dripping wet with condensation (as was the rest of the boat) including the top (fabric side) of the bimini ... and both sides of the Stratglas windshield. We didn't have the side curtains rigged. Of course, by 10am or so it was dried off by the sun.

I think I'll need to keep it clean by giving it an occasional wipe down with a mildew cleaning solution on the vinyl side. The fabric side should stay clean with soap and water bath when I wash the boat. If not, my little pressure washer does a great job of removing the green stuff from lines and everything else on the boat... should work on the top too.

:egrin: