• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"VRLA" Battery failure story

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am not sure if this type of battery is common for boat usage, but did find the story interesting.
The person posting the story seems to be comparing the failure to AGM batteries, but I am not at all sure that the technology is closely related. I know that there are a number of battery wizards lurking here. :nerd:

http://windborneinpugetsound.blogsp...ThreeSheetsNorthwest+(Three+Sheets+Northwest)

It's kind of a long link -- we shall see if it posts here in a usable form.

LB

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This is probably just a run of the mill AGM battery. When they refer to a VRLA [valve regulated lead acid] battery they mean either an AGM or gel cell battery. They have a normally closed valve that is supposed to prevent this from happening. Whenever it overheats the valve is supposed to open and relieve the pressure. This time it didn't work. It would be caused by an internal short circuit (in this case) or over charging.

Once the valve opens the battery is shot.

Bad things happen to Flooded cell batteries when they develop an internal short also, but the fire is less dramatic. You do want to get it off of the boat.

To keep it in perspective, electrical problems are just as common in the home.