• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Walbro Fuel Pump Noise Question

galmvig

Member I
I'm a new owner of a 1987 Ericson 28 with a 10HP Universal engine. I've never had a boat of this size before and I'm new to diesel engines. I have a question regarding fuel pumps. When I turn on the ignition key, there is a loud clicking sound coming from the fuel pump. I believe this is normal; however, once the engine starts the clicking sound continues and I'm not sure if this is normal. My fuel pump is a Walbro frb-22. I don't have an owners manual for the pump and I'm not sure what maintenance is required. If anyone is able to help answer these questions that would be wonderful. I'm a newbie.

Geoff

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I'm a new owner of a 1987 Ericson 28 with a 10HP Universal engine. I've never had a boat of this size before and I'm new to diesel engines. I have a question regarding fuel pumps. When I turn on the ignition key, there is a loud clicking sound coming from the fuel pump. I believe this is normal; however, once the engine starts the clicking sound continues and I'm not sure if this is normal. My fuel pump is a Walbro frb-22. I don't have an owners manual for the pump and I'm not sure what maintenance is required. If anyone is able to help answer these questions that would be wonderful. I'm a newbie.

Geoff
Geoff
Fuel pumps do make a chattering, clicking noise, but it likely shouldn't be super loud. Is the engine running smoothly, so you're getting steady fuel flow?
I don't know your brand of pump as many Ericsons have Facet pumps, but they normally don't need maintenance. Some have a filter screen in the bottom if it screws off, but if you're getting good flow, it likely isn't plugged enough to cause a loud clicking.
Can you check with some nearby sailors to compare their pump clicking to yours?
Also, as a new owner, it normally takes about a year to figure out all the boat systems, and learn maintenance. This site is an excellent resource, so don't hesitate to ask questions as needed. Also, Nigel Calder's book Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual is very thorough and easy to understand, covering all boat system maintenance, definitely worth having on board.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A photo always helps.

Clicking ("ticking") means the pump is working. The speed of the clicking varies and usually slows down after startup. Actually, I can't hear it under the engine noise.

Just for fun, confirm that your electric fuel pump is located between the primary fuel filter and the engine. The pump should be on the vacuum side, pulling fuel rather than pushing it. It probably already is unless somebody revised it.

galmvig

Member I
Geoff
Fuel pumps do make a chattering, clicking noise, but it likely shouldn't be super loud. Is the engine running smoothly, so you're getting steady fuel flow?
I don't know your brand of pump as many Ericsons have Facet pumps, but they normally don't need maintenance. Some have a filter screen in the bottom if it screws off, but if you're getting good flow, it likely isn't plugged enough to cause a loud clicking.
Can you check with some nearby sailors to compare their pump clicking to yours?
Also, as a new owner, it normally takes about a year to figure out all the boat systems, and learn maintenance. This site is an excellent resource, so don't hesitate to ask questions as needed. Also, Nigel Calder's book Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual is very thorough and easy to understand, covering all boat system maintenance, definitely worth having on board.
Frank
Thanks for the input Frank. The motor is running smooth and seems to have plenty of power for a 10 hp. There is a drain screw at the bottom of the pump. I've never tried to drain it though. There is another Ericson 28 near my boat so I'll check with them to see if they have that issue.

Learning about the boat has been a steep learning curve for me. I will check out Nigels book. Sounds like a great reference. Thanks for the advice!

Geoff

galmvig

Member I
A photo always helps.

Clicking ("ticking") means the pump is working. The speed of the clicking varies and usually slows down after startup. Actually, I can't hear it under the engine noise.

Just for fun, confirm that your electric fuel pump is located between the primary fuel filter and the engine. The pump should be on the vacuum side, pulling fuel rather than pushing it. It probably already is unless somebody revised it.
I can't hear it from the helm except for when turning on the ignition key; but just barely. As far as order of systems, tank, fuel/water separator, fuel pump, and fuel filter. Thats the order of the system. Here is a link to a video:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I've also listened to your video, and agree with Christian that this doesn't sound like a normal fuel pump. Sometimes by placing the tip of a screwdriver on a part and feeling / listening at the handle, you can better pinpoint exactly where a noise is coming from. I would try that on the fuel pump, nearby engine, and any other part that you suspect as the cause. As well, is the pump manufacturer still in business, where you could talk to their tech people, send them the video to see if they recognize that sound as normal for their pump, or sign of internal malfunction?
Let us know what you find.
Frank

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
That pump may sound different from a facet, but it doesn’t sound abnormal for an electric pump. It seems to have real good specifications, it is marine rated (corrosion resistant), and its widely used in many applications and widely available at places like Fisheries Supply and Summit Racing(!). 43 gallons per hour rating is overkill for these little Diesel engines, but that is not a problem. I would think it is a good pump. it has a removable, cleanable filter, btw. You could also remove the output hose, put it into a mason jar, and turn the pump on. Be prepared to shut it o ASAP, though! Stand by with a fire extinguisher, too.

Carry a Facet as a backup if you are worried. The Facet is only about half the price of that pump you have!

galmvig

Member I
I've also listened to your video, and agree with Christian that this doesn't sound like a normal fuel pump. Sometimes by placing the tip of a screwdriver on a part and feeling / listening at the handle, you can better pinpoint exactly where a noise is coming from. I would try that on the fuel pump, nearby engine, and any other part that you suspect as the cause. As well, is the pump manufacturer still in business, where you could talk to their tech people, send them the video to see if they recognize that sound as normal for their pump, or sign of internal malfunction?
Let us know what you find.
Frank
The fuel pump supplier is still in business but I've had a horrible time trying to get their contact information. Their web site is in need of a lot of repairs. I'm going to try and call them tomorrow to see if they can help me but so far, I'm not impressed.

galmvig

Member I
That pump may sound different from a facet, but it doesn’t sound abnormal for an electric pump. It seems to have real good specifications, it is marine rated (corrosion resistant), and its widely used in many applications and widely available at places like Fisheries Supply and Summit Racing(!). 43 gallons per hour rating is overkill for these little Diesel engines, but that is not a problem. I would think it is a good pump. it has a removable, cleanable filter, btw. You could also remove the output hose, put it into a mason jar, and turn the pump on. Be prepared to shut it o ASAP, though! Stand by with a fire extinguisher, too.

Carry a Facet as a backup if you are worried. The Facet is only about half the price of that pump you have!
Good advice! What model of Facet pump would work? I'm going to remove the nut at the bottom and see if there is any junk to clean out. Maybe that will quiet it down a bit. Thanks.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Good advice! What model of Facet pump would work? I'm going to remove the nut at the bottom and see if there is any junk to clean out. Maybe that will quiet it down a bit. Thanks.
My old facet (Bendix style....just like on my dad's Sunbeam Tiger in the late 1960's) I replaced with the cube style. I got it from NAPA parts. NAPA part # 610-2404. Cross reference Facet # 40185

This part # was one which Maine Sail had recommended. It seems to work great.

Don
't forget to get the fittings for it.

Here is an old thread about it. :cool:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My father also had a Sunbeam Tiger. It was a sexy little Sunbeam Alpine with a Ford V8 shoehorned under the hood. Had to be careful not to spin the wheels going into third gear on a freeway ramp. Oh well....