• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Want to Buy a West Coast 35-3

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
- Originally Issued on 30 Aug 2000 -

I'm in the process of trying to find a E35-3 (83' or newer) for a reasonable price somewhere on the West Coast (pref N. Calif or north). I've seen a couple come and go across the country - and I'm wondering this: Have you guys seen enough turn over in the 35-3 on the west coast sufficient enough for me to not stress over finding one (and purchasing one from back east,etc.)?

Or to make it even easier: Is anyone with a 1983+, E35-3 interested in selling?

Thanks,
Sean Engle
Tacoma, WA

ssengle@worldnet.att.net

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Try to imagine a smaller version of the late-model 38. The type 3 model of the 35 was a very good looking Ericson....
Rather subjective, actually!
:)
Loren

Larry Modrcin

Walt:

Ihave owned a tall rig E-34 and now own a New 38 Ericson made by Pacific Seacraft and the difference in speed is amazing the 38 gets about 1 to 1and 1/2 knotts more speed than the 34 and I thought the 34 was a great boat for speed.

I was told that the new 38 had some changes made in the hull design in relaton to mast placement and it is obvious that the 38 sails better than my 34. Both the 34 and the 38 are great boats!!!

Although the 38 is more stable and quicker to recover from a tact.

Larry

Jeff Lennox

Larry-

Did you have an E34-2 (late 80's)? Some of the speed difference could be the sails on your 38, especially if your sails on your E34 were not new, and/or the type of prop between the two boats.

Putting new sails from an excellent sail loft made a big speed difference with our E34-2, as well as installing a folding prop (in the range of 1 to 1.5 knots in certain
conditions). New sails also reduce "tenderness" because the more power goes to driving the boat instead of pulling it over.

To the best of my knowledge, PS only modified the interior features of the E350 (E34-2) and E380 (E38-200). Just speculating, because the 1 to 1.5 knots of boat speed
improvement is more than I would expect to see for identically equipped boats, and more than I have seen on the water, including compared to PS built boats.

PS rated the "maximum relative hull speed" of the E350 and
E380 as 7.3 and 7.5 knots, respectively. We typically saw 7.0 to 7.2 knots (with a highly accurate knot meter) during a nice beam reach with 15 knots true wind, so the 7.3 rating makes sense.

Enjoy your PS E380. They built a great boat!

Jeff

Walter Shilling

That's really interesting.

I wonder where we could varify the differences which you suspect the New E38 exhibit.

Is there ayone left at Pacific Seacraft, who are intimately familre with the Ericson line?

Walt

Larry Modrcin

Jeff : thanks for the info Just my 380 has the folding prop and that probably does make that much of a difference. My 34 was a 1987 model and I purchased both boats new however the 380 has full batten main and it does power the
boat up quicker on tacts.

Larry

Jeff Lennox

We did the new sails and folding prop the same year (1997), so it was hard to tell how much of the speed increase was due to one or the other, but the combination was certainly great! The shape on our new main is spectacular, holding a nice shape, even in light air when our old sail would be flopping around.

Enjoy your PS E380!

Jeff

Jim Miner

Sean:

I am an owner of a 1987 Ericson which is for sale. My wife and I will be retiring shortly to a home in Colorado and cannot enjoy the boat there. The boat was purchased in1991 from the original owner and has been fresh water sailed exclusively. The main, No.1, No.3 were replaced since 1993.

If you are interested in more information, Email at renimj@peoplepc.com.

Cheers and good sailing,

Jim