• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Want to replace the Atomic 4 with an electrical motor, any advice?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Electric Propulsion advantages;

instant torque
always ready to propel (always on)
plenty of power
no exhaust fumes
no fuel fumes/smell below decks
very little maintenance (boring)
quiet
easily repaired (few components - plug and play)
regenerative battery charging

To the resale issue, I sold my electric powered 1968 Ericson 23 for $5000 within a few months of putting it up for sale and one of the POSITIVE selling points was the EP.

Fencer21, I hesitate replying to all of the responses to your question especially here amongst my Ericson brethren. I see and hear people stating how Electric Propulsion is not a viable system in a sailboat, most if not all are people that have never even been on an EP powered sailboat. For me a sailboat is the perfect platform for EP.

That said, if your boat lives on a mooring you will have to get creative charging you batteries.

steven

Sustaining Member
I've been considering adding an electric motor to connect by belt drive to the shaft behind the (now working ) A4. Has anyone looked a this configuration?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've been considering adding an electric motor to connect by belt drive to the shaft behind the (now working ) A4. Has anyone looked a this configuration?

It's an attractive concept but would have the same potential flaw as other uses of the shaft - driving a generator when the shaft rotates when under sail for instance.
Unless you add a pillow bearing to the shaft to take the side thrust from the tensioned belt, you would wear the cutlass bearing badly in short order. Transmission might not like it either.

If you did this for only an emergency, such as having a loose belt you'd "clutch in" for an emergency high-output bildge pump, saving the boat from sinking would override concerns about the rest of the drive train.
(IMHO)

LB