• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted - Alcohol stove

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I am building a cabinet in the space where an stove should have been on my E-30+.

I have not been able to find non-pressurized alcohol options and am now looking at propane.
Unfortunately, to properly install a propane tank on the E-30+ is impossible as there is not a sealed locker available.

Looking for options and opinions.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

gabriel

Live free or die hard

i use a similar butane burner on my small ericson and i swear it burns hotter than my industrial grade range at home. I have two, one for inside, second i use outside to fry fish if i catch any. The fuel is getting a little harder to find due to its use in illicit drug manufacture.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If seeking an Origo 3000, check out lots of CraigsList locations. I see them out there, but getting harder to find.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

i use a similar butane burner on my small ericson and i swear it burns hotter than my industrial grade range at home. I have two, one for inside, second i use outside to fry fish if i catch any. The fuel is getting a little harder to find due to its use in illicit drug manufacture.
Those butane canisters are very easy to find here in California. Our local Sam's Club has them, as do all of the Korean grocery stores that are all over the place in my area. These little butane stoves are highly popular for use in wok cooking.

The sale of denatured alcohol, on the other hand, has been banned in California.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
If seeking an Origo 3000, check out lots of CraigsList locations. I see them out there, but getting harder to find.
Check out Minney's in Costa Mesa, California. They were shut down for most or all of last year, but I think they may be doing business again.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
requested quote from Wallas for stove/heater combination to see if there is a compatible price point

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Those butane canisters are very easy to find here in California. Our local Sam's Club has them, as do all of the Korean grocery stores that are all over the place in my area. These little butane stoves are highly popular for use in wok cooking.

The sale of denatured alcohol, on the other hand, has been banned in California.
i said a little harder to find not impissibl

DBF55D7F-21B8-4B86-A0AC-EAB730526F1E.jpeg

Slick470

Member III
True, but there are a lot of products that are basically the same stuff that you can still buy in California. Like HEET.

Thankfully we can still buy the stuff in gallon cans at Home Depot.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member

The spirit cooker is a great idea except it can not be shipped into the states. So disappointing

SPIRIT COOKER 3000 2-FLAME

This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Wallas quote for a two burner diesel stove and heater on discount is $2,500, full price is over $2,800 putting it out of my reach.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
True, but there are a lot of products that are basically the same stuff that you can still buy in California. Like HEET.

Thankfully we can still buy the stuff in gallon cans at Home Depot.
I haven't checked recently, but the last time this topic came up I recall that Heet was quite expensive vs. what denatured alcohol sells for (when you can get it). Never tried it in an Origo.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps one of the Canadian EY owners can receive it and then resend it to you. After all, it is just a bunch of assembled SS stampings, and could be described as an art item......
:)

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Searching for acceptable marine stove
Criteria - safe to use and simple to install

Current search - Salvage/Wrecking/junk sailboat yards

Update - searching YouTube (doesn't everyone?) I discovered Sailboat wrecking yard (http://sailboatwreckingyard.com/) in Lynden Washington (as in State of).

They have several Origo's 3000 and 4000.

This is good news that comes with a warning - no returns.

Most likely, an purchase will require bringing the stove back to life.

JPS27

Member III

Update - searching YouTube (doesn't everyone?) I discovered Sailboat wrecking yard (http://sailboatwreckingyard.com/) in Lynden Washington (as in State of).

I have an origo 4000 I found on craigslist that i love. Used it to replace my nonworking pressurized alcohol stove. As long as the origo is still structurally sound there's not much to bring back to life. Perhaps sailboatwreckingyard could comment/send pics of the moving parts, the condition of the fuel receptacles and material inside, etc.

Slick470

Member III
I haven't checked recently, but the last time this topic came up I recall that Heet was quite expensive vs. what denatured alcohol sells for (when you can get it). Never tried it in an Origo.
I agree buying denatured alcohol in bulk is easier and cheaper assuming you can get it. As far as how well other options like HEET works, this is also a common question in the lightweight backpacking community and there are a ton of articles and YouTube videos comparing various options. Like this one:

This question also came up in our Olson 911S Facebook group and one of the California owners did confirm that HEET works just fine.

Slick470

Member III

Mark, I assume you've checked with Bacon's in Annapolis? There is also a guy in MD who parts out old boats who may be an option. No website that I know of but has a Facebook page for the store: (they also sell a bunch of nautical decorations and stuff) https://www.facebook.com/anchorsoars. I was able to get a replacement engine control panel from him for a great price.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I agree buying denatured alcohol in bulk is easier and cheaper assuming you can get it. As far as how well other options like HEET works, this is also a common question in the lightweight backpacking community and there are a ton of articles and YouTube videos comparing various options. Like this one:

This question also came up in our Olson 911S Facebook group and one of the California owners did confirm that HEET works just fine.
Good to know.

paul culver

Member III
What is it with California and ethanol? First they make us put up with it in our gasoline, then they take it away from us for our stoves. I guess we can always distill it from the cheapest vodka we can find, unless they take that away too. Love my Origo too!