• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted Barlow winch DRUM

Dave Hussey

Member III
My E27 has a pair of Barlow winches. The teeth in one of the aluminum drums are damaged, looks like from corrosion since the bronze drive gears are in perfectly good shape.
Does anyone have a winch drum to sell so I can resurrect this one? Or is there a way to repair this one? It looks like a ring gear, but I think it is cast as part of the drum.

CaptDan

Member III
I can't be sure, but I recall seeing some Barlow winches (16,20,27 models) at 2nd Wave Marine Consignment's Fremont store recently.

Here's the link to the Barlow 20:

http://www.secondwave.cc/Products/Sailing/winches.html

They generally have more in both the Fremont and Shilshole stores than what's shown on the website. Might be worth giving them a call or dropping by.

Good luck.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have parts from a Barient 17 winch currently on auction on eBay. You might take a look and see if it will work for you.
Tom

Dave Hussey

Member III
Thanks Tom,
I wonder what are the chances the Barient 17 drum will interchange with the Barlow 20. Too bad we can't try it.

tdtrimmer

Member II
Barient 17

The design of the 17 is such that the drum has two sets of cogs in the lower section; one for a gear and one for rachet pawls. I'll take some measurements tomorrow and send them two you. Check out the auction on eBay and see if the parts pictured indicate the same design as your 20. If it doesn't sell, I'll be happy to send you the drum so you can check it out.
Tom

Jayster

Barlow Winch Drum

Dave,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Did you ever get this figured out? I am pretty sure I have an extra that I robbed for parts (you know the top silver insert that pops out if your not paying attention during servicing). Let me know.

Jay