• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted - Bow Cap for 1978 E-27

japerra

Member II
I am looking for a "bow cap" (not sure of term-photo attached) for a 1968 E-27. Mine was smashed by by the marina while launching another boat. I don't even know when to begin looking for this part (or a way to have one made).
All advice is appreciated.

James

Attachments

• Bow Cap.jpg
    Bow Cap.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Good Old Boat magazine had an article a couple of years ago about a guy who took heavy PVC pipe (possibly the conduit type), filled it with sand, heated it in the oven to bend it to shape. Then he dumped the sand, cut the inner half away with a coping saw, painted it, installed it. As I recall, it looked pretty good in the pictures. Or you could find a welding shop to make it of stainless. Otherwise, you may have to have it cast from aluminum.

japerra

Member II
Thank you Keith

I think the stainless option would work well and look good.
I bought the boat about a month ago (my first boat) and am having a heck of a time getting it transported from the marina about 200 miles North. The marina launched her without my permission and when I went to look at her this weekend I saw why. I believe the boat was hit while in the cradle and may possibly have some hull damage in addition to the cracked cap and they put it in the water to hide the bottom damage. They are also telling me that they don't have a cradle operator to get her on a truck, forcing me to take it to another marina to launch and negate their responsibility.
It's nice to have a place where people take the time to offer advice to us newbies.

Thanks again,

James

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Well, James...well, well, well. Funny you should bring this up.

I have a sad, lonely, orphaned bow cap purchased from Pacific Seacraft several years ago that was allegedly for my E32. However, the boat was in the water at a mooring when it arrived and I didn't try to mount it for a year.

Totally the wrong size. Wrong length, wrong angle, wrong everything.

Pacific Seacraft was in its last gasps and wasn't interested in a return or swap.

I'll get some measurements when I'm home but I can probably make you an offer you won't want to refuse.

Alternatively, the May 2007 issue of Good Old Boat has an article on page 17 titled "Replacing a Bow Trim Casting" which involves filling a PVC electrical conduit with sand and heating it in your oven before bending it to the proper shape and cutting it with a saw.

japerra

Member II
I love this site!

Thanks Tenders. I should be heading back up to the boat this weekend and will take some measurements of my own. If it fits, it's sold.

jkenan

Member III
I think the stainless option would work well and look good.
I bought the boat about a month ago (my first boat) and am having a heck of a time getting it transported from the marina about 200 miles North. The marina launched her without my permission and when I went to look at her this weekend I saw why. I believe the boat was hit while in the cradle and may possibly have some hull damage in addition to the cracked cap and they put it in the water to hide the bottom damage. They are also telling me that they don't have a cradle operator to get her on a truck, forcing me to take it to another marina to launch and negate their responsibility.
It's nice to have a place where people take the time to offer advice to us newbies.

Thanks again,

James

It's unfortunate some yards choose to be so manipulative. I've been there myself, and that is exactly the reason I have become so involved in doing all my own maintenance. If I hadn't been PO'd about getting bilked by the yard where I bought my boat ($375 to clean the carb, a handful of other 'standard' charges, and they never did the work they agreed to as part of the deal), then I never would have learned how to rebuild an engine, and basically upgrade and maintain every aspect of the boat. I have found some local yards that are wonderful, willing to share their knowledge, and let you know when and why you are incurring charges beforehand. The transition from newbie to seasoned boat owner sometimes involves these situations, unfortunately.

If you suspect they did any damage, I'd dive in and inspect it before doing anything else.

japerra

Member II
Thanks John. I think I'll brave the cold and take a dive to check her out before getting her the heck out of there.
By the way, for anyone heading to Georgian Bay...Stay away from Thomson's Marine.

sleather

Sustaining Member
James, Welcome, and sorry to hear about the yard issues.:esad:

Pursue those "bozos" and report back on the outcome. I had a yard pull mine a few years back because of health reasons. They suceeded in destroying the wind guage sending unit at the masthead while putting it on the trailer. They refused to pay because it was "optional" equipment.

In your quest for the bow cap you might want to contact these guys. Perhaps the boat got parted-out.......just a thought. :rolleyes:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6001&highlight=ericson+27

Click on the "user name" and send them a Private Message or e-mail.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I'm looking at this bow cap (see the three attached photos). It's a little difficult to calculate exactly what the bow angle is because it is shaped more like a "U" than a "V". The curvature of the "U" makes it difficult to determine exactly where the angle should be measured.

Here are some details:

If you draw a line from one end of the U to the other (I believe the geometric term for this is a "chord"), the chord is 9" long. In other words, the ends of the "U" are 9" apart.

If you draw a line from the center of the curve of the "U" up to the chord, and perpendicular to the chord, that line is 5" long. In other words, the inside of the "U" is about 5" tall. (However, there is a lip on the "U" which I expect is designed to wrap around the hull-to-deck joint. The lip gets in the way if you just stand it up on a table, but if you measure it like that the piece is 7" tall.)

If you do some trigonometry that suggests that a "V" inscribed in the "U" would have an angle of about 84 degrees. (84 degrees = arctan(4.5/5) * 2).

However, that's not the same as suggesting that the bow on which this would fit would be an 84 degree angle. I guess if you were to measure a point 5" aft of the bow, and found that the edge of the boat where the cap should go was about 4.5" to port and to starboard of that point 5" back, this would be the cap for you.

Attachments

• 100_1166-lo.jpg
    100_1166-lo.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1168-lo.jpg
    100_1168-lo.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_1169-lo.jpg
    100_1169-lo.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 53

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if you could mock one up in clay and then make a mold from that?
After that you could make lots of them in FRP. Just paint 'em white when done...

Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I bought one of those off PS years ago for the 39 I was rehabbing.
'Course it didn't fit, so we ended up taking out a couple of pie slices,
bending it, and reglassing the part. Worked like a charm.

Martin

japerra

Member II
Bow Cap

I'm looking at this bow cap (see the three attached photos). It's a little difficult to calculate exactly what the bow angle is because it is shaped more like a "U" than a "V". The curvature of the "U" makes it difficult to determine exactly where the angle should be measured.

Here are some details:

If you draw a line from one end of the U to the other (I believe the geometric term for this is a "chord"), the chord is 9" long. In other words, the ends of the "U" are 9" apart.

If you draw a line from the center of the curve of the "U" up to the chord, and perpendicular to the chord, that line is 5" long. In other words, the inside of the "U" is about 5" tall. (However, there is a lip on the "U" which I expect is designed to wrap around the hull-to-deck joint. The lip gets in the way if you just stand it up on a table, but if you measure it like that the piece is 7" tall.)

If you do some trigonometry that suggests that a "V" inscribed in the "U" would have an angle of about 84 degrees. (84 degrees = arctan(4.5/5) * 2).

However, that's not the same as suggesting that the bow on which this would fit would be an 84 degree angle. I guess if you were to measure a point 5" aft of the bow, and found that the edge of the boat where the cap should go was about 4.5" to port and to starboard of that point 5" back, this would be the cap for you.

The cap you have is larger than my current. However, I think I can make it fit as per Martin King's advice. Let me know how much you would like for the part. I will send the payment this week and we can arrange for C.O.D. shipping once you receive the payment. Sound good?

James

Glyn Judson

Possible source for making a bow cap near you.

Dear Mr. ragamuffin, The first place that comes to mind is High Tech Boats at 1113 Pine St. in Waukegan. Contact Billy McCaffery there at 847.244.5258. He has a very eclectic yard with storage, repairs and cutting edge technology manufacturing of go-fast sailboats all at the same address. Now, I can't say that he can/will do just one piece for just you but it's the best shot I know of in the Chicago area. You'll have to bring him a somewhat intact sample to work from. I had the same thing done years ago at Pacific Seacraft for the bow and stern of my E25+. I supplied them three good aluminum castings and got three beautiful white fiberglass replacements that are still in good shape, despite my not owning that boat anymore, so I know it can be done and if anyone can do it and do it well, it's Billy. Keep us posted, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Tadzik

Member I
Thanks John. I think I'll brave the cold and take a dive to check her out before getting her the heck out of there.
By the way, for anyone heading to Georgian Bay...Stay away from Thomson's Marine.

Is the name of the owner of Thomson Marine - John? If yes, I know this guy.
I keep my E29 in Hindson Marine, Penetang. If you have any additional questions regarding E27/E29 or would like to see modifications I have made in my "Odin" you can contact me:

tedpil@yahoo.ca

Ted