• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted : E 25+ ( swing keel)

Robin Keith

Hi loyal ericson owners, Please help me locate a 25+ w/ swing keel , my preference is a boat that is in good condition but I will consider a possible project boat being that I have a heated shop the e25 will fit into if that is what I have to do .I am willing to travel so please share any leads.Thanks for your support , cant wait to be back on the water!RK

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The 25+ does not have a swing keel

The 25 with a swing keel is an entirely different boat from the 25+, which has an encapsulated keel. Take a look at sailboatdata.com for more details.

--Alan Gomes

Robin Keith

Alan , thanks for your interest and opinion,all is welcome . Ericson offered the 25 + with a swing keel option from 1978 till 1981 , although not many were produced.RK

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Are you sure about that?

Does the boat you are talking about have an outboard rudder and masthead rig? If so, it's a 25 and not a 25+. But then, maybe you are right and the sailboatdata.com site just doesn't take into account some kind of limited production deal.

--AG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you d/l the E-25+ brochure from this site, you will see that it was not really intended to be trailerable without a permit, with a beam of 9' 3".

Also, that two fixed keels were offered, 4' 11" standard, and 3' 11" shoal. Both were the Delta shape that Ericson adopted for external lead fin keels throughout the 80's.

The prior 1970's Ericson 25 was indeed offered with a swing keel.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Robin Keith

Hi Alan,
No I am not certain , I talked with a retired yard owner about the 25+ and he spoke passionately of the boat and convinced me that this is the boat for me.After being challenged then reading Lorens response I tried to find specs for the swing keel model and have not come up with any.I was very excited about prospects of this boat but a swing keel shallow draft is a must right now , I called the yardman and he has not seen one for many years but swears to the existence of her.If anybody else has any knowledge of this boat having a swing keel , please contribute.Alan thanks again for your thoughts.RK

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hello, Keith.

I thinks there's little doubt that the yardman is incorrect and that he is confusing a swing keel 25 with a delta keel 25+. I can see where the nomenclature would make it easy to confuse. But they are very, very different boats. (I own an E26-2, which is nearly identical to the 25+, but with a slight modification to the forward part of the cabin and with the traveler moved from the bridgedeck to above the companionway.) Just thinking of how the E25+/E26-2 is constructed, I think it's nearly impossibe that Ericson would have offered it in a swing keel version, granting the massive amount of re-engineering that would have taken for such a modification. They did offer a shoal vs. deep draft model of the delta keel E25+/E26-2, but that kind of mod is pretty trivial.

I've never seen an E25 in person but they look nice enough in pictures. But they layout is rather different than the E25+, so perhaps that's not what you want.

Happy hunting,
Alan Gomes

Wysailer

Member II
Swing Keel

You might check the E 25 web site that has a lot of information on the E25 centerboard version.
I have one of these boats and it offers quite a lot of room but is smaller than the 25+.
The E 25 web site is: http://www.ericson25.com
A frequent poster here DavisR and another owner in KY have done a fine job with this site.

Scott B
WYSAILOR 25 CB