• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted E-38 200

Frank G

Member II
Hi Paul,
I don't have a 38 for you, sorry. I bought a 32 located in the burnt Store Marina a year and a half ago. I trucked it to Knoxville. I used a very good trucker located in the Punta Gorda area. Let me know if you need one.
Where do you live and plan to dock your n ew boat. I was also wondering about how hard is it to get insurance there, both on the boat and your house?
Charlotte Harbor was great to sail on and I was thinking of finding a condo and making payments on it until I retire about 7 years from now.
Good Luck to you
Frank Gloss
E 32-2 shoal draft "Molto Bene"

perisho

Frank:

We live in Cape Coral and keep the boat in the canal behind the house.

Have had no trouble getting boat or house insurance so far (fingers crossed).

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Our 38 is listed in Annapolis but is the deep draft. 6"5". Has not been an issue on the relatively shallow Chesapeake but you may have different reasons for wanting the shallow draft.

perisho

Six and a half feet would be unusable in South Florida. I sold my 34T before moving here because it drew 6'.

I believe I have seen your boat listed and it looks very nice, except for the draft.

My previous Florida boat, with 4'8" draft went aground in the canal frequently on low winter tide. It would set upright on the wing keel, sometimes with over a foot of water line showing.

Paul

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Gotcha. You could always get a shallow draft fin with a bulb from Mars in Canada but that would probably be pricey. Have you seen Capn. Rons e-38? I think he is in Florida and has his boat listed.

perisho

From the year and hull number I believe Ron's is a 381. I want a 38-200 floor plan and besides shallow water in southwest Florida we also have very light air. A 3' shorter mast would not help.

I also had a wing keel for several years and although I have heard all of the objections I liked it and would buy another. As mentioned earlier our canal can get very low and a wing keel will set straight up instead of leaning against, or away from the dock.

I purchased my 34 in Connecticut and trucked it down after it appeared that boats from the northeast and great lakes seem to be in better shape, particularly the gel coat, than southern boats that are in the water year round.

Based on this I would be interested in a northeast, or great lakes, boat and believe the trucking expense would be worthwhile.

Paul

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
We sail the chesapeake in primarily light air and with a 150% genoa the boat goes very well in 3kts of breeze. I would bet the 381 with a 150-160 Genoa would do the same and you could make it through the okeechobee waterway bridges. You should take a closer look at Rons boat. I bet he would take you for a sail.