• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: E27 in Southern California area

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm currently in the market for an Ericson 27 in the Southern California area. I'm based out of San Pedro but would be willing to travel between Santa Barabara and San Diego for the right boat. Boat *must* have gelcoat in good shape, e.g., no serious crazing or worn to where the dark undercoat is showing through. I will not even consider boats that have been painted with a 1-part paint but 2-part LP'd boats (e.g., Awlgrip) will be fine if done professionally and the paint is still in good shape. I want tiller steering. My plan would be to convert the boat to outboard power with a notch cut in the transom, so a boat already configured this way would be ideal, but even boats with an A-4 running or not will be considered (since I'd be removing the A4 either way). Interior should be clean and no structural problems with the deck, etc.

Please feel free to message me with any leads, etc.

Thanks,
Alan

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Hi Alan,

I assume you are trolling Craigslist? I always run across 1 or 2 listed in the So. Cal area. The guy on the end of my dock has been teetering on selling his. It is tiller, but has an inboard. Would be close enough for you to go and check it out since you are in the area. It is right at the bottom of Gangway 21 in Alamitos Bay Marina, first slip. No idea what he would want for it.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Trolling Craig's list...

Hi, Todd. Thanks for the reply and your good suggestions.

You bet I'm trolling Craig's List! I even have an iPhone app that automatically notifies me if anything with the key word "Ericson" comes up on any of the lists that cover the area between Santa Barbara and San Diego. I've already looked at several E27s as a result of Craig's List but nothing good yet. (I looked at one in Dana Point just a couple of days ago, in fact.) The problem is not finding E27s out there for sale but finding a good one. You simply cannot tell from pictures if a boat is any good, as pictures always make it look better. (Though if the boat looks bad in pictures then you *know* it is *really bad*.) And I've found it is pointless to try to query sellers about specifics related to the condition of their boats on the phone, since the vast majority of the time they know next to nothing about boats and/or they wildly misrepresent the boat's condition. So I try to narrow it down as best I can through pictures and then just look at the boat in person. It's time consuming but there is no other way to do it.

Again, for me the gelcoat issue is a make or break factor. I'm not willing to own a crappy looking boat and remediating that through an LP job is hugely expensive--though I suppose if I got the boat for $2 or $3K then I'd be willing to sink another $10K into it for paint. But typically a boat that would sell for $2K (and I've seen them) has got all manner of other problems.

Yeah, I guess I'm fussy. :rolleyes: I have seen 70's boats out there with decent gelcoat, though they are few and far between. But I'm willing to take my time. When the right boat shows itself I'm ready to buy. In the mean time I'll probably have to look at more than a few frogs before I find my princess.

I'm also checking out Yachtworld, of course. Some of the asking prices are delusional, though. :0 There's one in Redondo Beach I may look at, but the $14K price for a very modestly equipped boat with an A4 is totally out of touch with reality. But I may look at it anyway and if I like it make a realistic offer and see what happens. At $14K that boat is going nowhere.

I'll keep in mind the boat you mentioned in Alamitos Bay. I can pop down there and check it out, as it's only about 25 minutes from me. I had a boat on Gangway 29 quite a few years back so I know right where you are talking about. In fact, I was just down there on Friday looking at an E29, which is bigger than I want but still within the realm of possibility. (It was right in front of Joe's Crab Shack.) Again, it was in really sad shape.

Thanks again,
Alan

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Surprised I didn't see you.

I know the boat you are talking about. E29 right? It has been on the market for over 2 years. It is adjacent to mine! If the slip next to it was empty, you caught me while I was out for a sail. If it was there, then I am sure you saw my E27. You can't miss it with its yellow topside. BTW, you likely passed right by the one I mentioned in my original post, since it is the first boat down gangway 21, which you likely went down.

Good Luck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Alan,
Keep watching for another mislabled "Ericson 29" that comes up at an auction and turns out to be an Olson 911S !
:rolleyes:

(Probably will not happen twice in a lifetime, but ya never know...............)

:egrin:

LB

ps: never hesitate to make a realistic and honest offer on any boat, no matter what the owner posts up for his dream selling price!
Some folks really know what their old boat is really worth, but are just trolling for a fish. That goes for brokered boats as well as with FSBO boats.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I know the boat you are talking about. E29 right? It has been on the market for over 2 years. It is adjacent to mine! If the slip next to it was empty, you caught me while I was out for a sail. If it was there, then I am sure you saw my E27. You can't miss it with its yellow topside. BTW, you likely passed right by the one I mentioned in my original post, since it is the first boat down gangway 21, which you likely went down.

Good Luck

The boat is named "Destinee." The slip adjacent to it to the north is some kind of sport boat (maybe a smaller J-boat?) but I didn't happen to notice any of the other boats next to it. Likewise, I may well have passed right by the E27 you are talking about but I wasn't paying attention. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm down there.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan,
Keep watching for another mislabled "Ericson 29" that comes up at an auction and turns out to be an Olson 911S !
:rolleyes:

(Probably will not happen twice in a lifetime, but ya never know...............)

:egrin:

LB

ps: never hesitate to make a realistic and honest offer on any boat, no matter what the owner posts up for his dream selling price!
Some folks really know what their old boat is really worth, but are just trolling for a fish. That goes for brokered boats as well as with FSBO boats.

Yes, I know what you mean about making an offer. I'm not at all averse to doing that.

BTW: I went to that auction at Alamitos Bay and did see that Olson 911, which I understand someone on the list bought. It needed quite a bit of work (IMHO) and was a bigger boat than I want, so I didn't even consider bidding on it. But for someone who enjoys and has time for a project it was no doubt a heck of a deal and with lots of work and $$$ could be a terrific boat.