• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WANTED: E29 Hatch

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Where's the teak?

Does anyone have a source of teak that is reasonably priced?
I plan to build replacements for the hatched on my E29 this winter. I will share the experience and pictures as the project progresses. The sliding hatch is in need of replacement.

Mac

A copule of years ago I refinished my hatches and hand rails.
I used a varnish stripper and a brass brush to remove the old varnish on my sliding hatch due to the depth of the grain a scraper would not work. It took about three or four applications to remove all of the buildup. The caulking between the strips of teak did not soften with the stripper I used (whatever brand that was sitting around the shop)

Attachments

• hatch 011.jpg
    hatch 011.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 103
  • hatch 012.jpg
    hatch 012.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 123

tyrguy

Member II
jkenan are you still making hatches?

jkenan
just wondering if you are still making sliding hatches for the E29 and if so how much?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm in the finishing stages of building a new hatch for my E27. Its time consuming but not beyond moderate woodworking skills if you have a bandsaw and a table saw. If you think you might want to try to build one you can check out details of construction on my E27 Project blog at the plasticclassicforum.com.

P3050002.jpg

Doug

Jdodson

Im late to the conversation (by 14 years!) any chance your'e still building these? I'm looking for salon hatches.
Thanks regardless!

Joe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Im late to the conversation (by 14 years!) any chance your'e still building these? I'm looking for salon hatches.
Thanks regardless!

Joe
Hover your mouse pointer over a person's name here, and you should get a new dialog box with a choice to "start conversation". Click on that and send them your greeting and your question, This will go to the email address they last used when logging in, here.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Edit: didn’t realize how old this post was.

i made one about a year ago for my e25. All 1/4 and 1/2 plywood, no screws only glue, function over form I guess. took me about a week and a half of working a couple hours a day and I got a nice splinter.

74997F1A-175C-4AA6-9D17-A76A749B9218.jpegBC7F0639-B18B-47FC-A9B0-71B1287179F9.jpegEA54E11E-48E1-472B-9230-4F01EC09F479.jpeg04A8337B-4195-4991-A935-852E434E0DDF.jpeg