• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: Ericson E32, E34, E35 near Lake Erie & Lake Ontario

sf1332

Member II
Hello,

My first post here...I've been reading this site to learn more about Ericsons, general boat maintenance, etc. while searching for my 1st boat.

I moved to Pittsburgh area after living in Sausalito, CA for many years (thus most my sailing in the SF Bay area), but my home port is Erie, PA now. I'd really like to find an Ericson near me, but it seems all Ericsons are far away. Found 2 E32's in NJ, but quickly sold, another good one in RI quickly sold before I could get there. E32-200 in NC now, but too far to drive just to check it out. E34 in ME seems to be in relatively poor condition and also very far away.

If anyone knows Ericson owners interested in selling near Lake Erie (e.g. Cleveland, Sandusky, Detroit metro, Buffalo, Rochester, etc...even Annapolis, MD), please let me know.

Thank you!

sf1332

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello,

My first post here...I've been reading this site to learn more about Ericsons, general boat maintenance, etc. while searching for my 1st boat.

I moved to Pittsburgh area after living in Sausalito, CA for many years (thus most my sailing in the SF Bay area), but my home port is Erie, PA now. I'd really like to find an Ericson near me, but it seems all Ericsons are far away. Found 2 E32's in NJ, but quickly sold, another good one in RI quickly sold before I could get there. E32-200 in NC now, but too far to drive just to check it out. E34 in ME seems to be in relatively poor condition and also very far away.

If anyone knows Ericson owners interested in selling near Lake Erie (e.g. Cleveland, Sandusky, Detroit metro, Buffalo, Rochester, etc...even Annapolis, MD), please let me know.

Thank you!

sf1332
Welcome to the EYO site! This should prove an excellent resource in finding what you want.

We live just below Detroit (no one wants to be FROM Detroit) and have a ‘73 E32-II.

Although ours is not for sale, I will ask my son if he knows of any other E’s for sale on Lake Erie and surrounding areas. (He’s more up on it all than I am.)

We do have a friend who put his E32-2 in a storage lot several years back and sadly it is still sitting there. Haven’t seen him in about as long as well. ...I’ll see if we can’t track him down for you to see if he’s interested in parting with it.

There are indeed many Ericsons around the area. It’s just a matter of finding one actually for sale at the moment.

...Any and all questions you may have about the various model/sizes and handling you’re interested in can and will be readily answered on this site.

Fair Winds!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Welcome ! I did see a 34 for sale in Escanaba Michigan (Michigan UP Lake Michigan shore). Let me find it .....I think it's a little pricey but lots of nice electronics. Not real close to you so would be a long maiden voyage. I think there is a 32 in Chicago too, again pretty far and even longer maiden voyage.

sf1332

Member II
Welcome to the EYO site! This should prove an excellent resource in finding what you want.

We live just below Detroit (no one wants to be FROM Detroit) and have a ‘73 E32-II.

Although ours is not for sale, I will ask my son if he knows of any other E’s for sale on Lake Erie and surrounding areas. (He’s more up on it all than I am.)

We do have a friend who put his E32-2 in a storage lot several years back and sadly it is still sitting there. Haven’t seen him in about as long as well. ...I’ll see if we can’t track him down for you to see if he’s interested in parting with it.

There are indeed many Ericsons around the area. It’s just a matter of finding one actually for sale at the moment.

...Any and all questions you may have about the various model/sizes and handling you’re interested in can and will be readily answered on this site.

Fair Winds!
Thank you for reaching out. Yea, please let me know if you hear of anything.

sf1332

Member II
Welcome ! I did see a 34 for sale in Escanaba Michigan (Michigan UP Lake Michigan shore). Let me find it .....I think it's a little pricey but lots of nice electronics. Not real close to you so would be a long maiden voyage. I think there is a 32 in Chicago too, again pretty far and even longer maiden voyage.

Thank you for forwarding this to me. I've seen this, and have been monitoring it hoping that the price will go down. Since I cannot make a day trip there, most likely I cannot check it out anytime soon.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thank you for reaching out. Yea, please let me know if you hear of anything.
So far, my son responded about a possible E32-II (‘72??) still available at the Monroe Boat Club on the Eastern shore of Lake Erie.

His comments were:
“Friend of mine went and looked at Fiasco down at NCYC. It is in bad shape... compression post is rotted, deck is caved in and delaminates are around the mast. Mold growing in the engine compartment.”

(Sounds like a LOT of work!!!)

We’re still trying to see if we can connect with our friend on Grosse Ile, Mi about his E32 in storage.

sf1332

Member II
So far, my son responded about a possible E32-II (‘72??) still available at the Monroe Boat Club on the Eastern shore of Lake Erie.

His comments were:
“Friend of mine went and looked at Fiasco down at NCYC. It is in bad shape... compression post is rotted, deck is caved in and delaminates are around the mast. Mold growing in the engine compartment.”

(Sounds like a LOT of work!!!)

We’re still trying to see if we can connect with our friend on Grosse Ile, Mi about his E32 in storage.
Wow, thank you so much for your and your son's efforts! Yes, unfortunately that E32-II sounds like a little more work than I am prepared or qualified to do. Would be great to hear about the E32 in Grosse Ile, MI soon. Thank you again!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I know of a 35-3 that’s about to come up for sale on Lake Champlain. Got a mule named Sal?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Wow, thank you so much for your and your son's efforts! Yes, unfortunately that E32-II sounds like a little more work than I am prepared or qualified to do. Would be great to hear about the E32 in Grosse Ile, MI soon. Thank you again!

Happy to help, hopefully we can track our old friend down and get you more information.

kapnkd

kapnkd
...My son just sent me two listings he found on YachtWorld.com. One is a ‘73 E-32 in Milwaukee (a bit far perhaps) - BUT - that looks to be absolutely like a spotless brand new boat for $12k!!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/ericson-32-3744756/

The other is a PS Ericson Regatta 333 reviewed by Captain Q on Youtube that’s in Salem Massachusetts.

DO check out more of the YachtWorld Ericson listings they have as well!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
As an added thought...but perhaps a good one!.....

With you now living in Erie, PA - you may want to/should also explore and consider joining a local yacht/boating club as well.

(We’ve been to the Erie Yacht Club several times and it’s VERY nice! Not sure about membership costs but it is a nice facility and the members are friendly as well.)

When living in Miami, forever ago, we belonged to the Miami Yacht Club and then much later here in Michigan, joined the Ford Yacht Club. ...Not for the blue blazer and brass button Caddy Shack reasons but economically because joining and annual membership dues were much cheaper than commercial marinas with all costs being amortized out in around 5 years.

In addition, the club has its own abilities for launch & haul out plus one can do their own work.

Besides the club facilities, dinning and many social activities - just like the EYO website, fellow members are always around for “been there done it” advice and even a helping hand if needed.

Perhaps one of the BEST benefits is most clubs belong to the “AYC” (Affiliated Yacht Club’s). It’s a very lengthy list of clubs with reciprocal offerings to visit, dine and have dockage for much more reasonable rates than commercial marinas! (Often the first day or two is even free - depending on what your club offers them.)

IF you were to purchase a boat in Michigan or even Wisconsin or Illinois....there are most likely AYC clubs all along your travel route available for your trip back to Erie, PA.

...REALLY WORTH CHECKING INTO AS WELL!!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
While the right Ericson comes along, check out every boat you can in your size and price range. It's fun, but more important it informs you about used sailboats, and you can justify it as required due diligence. You'll see variation in accommodation, conditions and prices that don;t seem to align with each other. You'll automatically begin to compare boats. If you see 12 candidates in a three-month period you'll actually become a temporary expert on current offerings, and know more than any owner does about where his boat stands in the desirability rankings. You'll be able to negotiate, but more important you'll possess informed opinion.

Most of us think that a boat asking a substantial price--about 10 or 15 or 20 thousand dollars--needs a marine survey. The potential buyer pays for that and it costs $500-plus, and the idea is to identify big deal-killer issues. Then there's a test sail, and the final decision.

Looking and studying is free and helps you know what you want. Once you know what you want, or at least have developed opinions, the many judgements, decisions and compromises are easier.

kapnkd

kapnkd
While the right Ericson comes along, check out every boat you can in your size and price range. It's fun, but more important it informs you about used sailboats, and you can justify it as required due diligence. You'll see variation in accommodation, conditions and prices that don;t seem to align with each other. You'll automatically begin to compare boats. If you see 12 candidates in a three-month period you'll actually become a temporary expert on current offerings, and know more than any owner does about where his boat stands in the desirability rankings. You'll be able to negotiate, but more important you'll possess informed opinion.

Most of us think that a boat asking a substantial price--about 10 or 15 or 20 thousand dollars--needs a marine survey. The potential buyer pays for that and it costs $500-plus, and the idea is to identify big deal-killer issues. Then there's a test sail, and the final decision.

Looking and studying is free and helps you know what you want. Once you know what you want, or at least have developed opinions, the many judgements, decisions and compromises are easier.

As always, well spoken Christian!!

sf1332

Member II
...My son just sent me two listings he found on YachtWorld.com. One is a ‘73 E-32 in Milwaukee (a bit far perhaps) - BUT - that looks to be absolutely like a spotless brand new boat for $12k!!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/ericson-32-3744756/

The other is a PS Ericson Regatta 333 reviewed by Captain Q on Youtube that’s in Salem Massachusetts.

DO check out more of the YachtWorld Ericson listings they have as well!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!
Thank you so much for forwarding me this listing and the YT video link.

That was very interesting. As soon as I saw the video, I texted and emailed the listing broker (on Sat before Easter) to figure out if I should make the journey to Salem, MA. He got back to me on Easter Sunday to tell me it's under contract. Sad.

The boat's hailing port is Mystic, CT (what a beautiful place!), but somehow wintering in Salem. Believe this boat was in an accident (a long crack in transom), and needing some work on the bottom...otherwise looked really clean. It was too good to be true (she probably is worth $50k+). This boat escaped my daily search on YW because it was listed under Pacific Seacraft, and had no mention of Ericson on the ad...thus when I search for Ericson boats in YW, she did not appear.

What a great find that was, and now I know to search for PSE's as well. Thank you again!

sf1332

Member II
As soon as I posted above, the listing broker called to catch up. The boat was not in an accident and the line I saw on transom is not a crack. He said about 90 people contacted him after the Captain Q video was published, and the 1st one who saw the boat offered the asking price and got her under contract, fyi.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As an added thought...but perhaps a good one!.....

With you now living in Erie, PA - you may want to/should also explore and consider joining a local yacht/boating club as well.

(We’ve been to the Erie Yacht Club several times and it’s VERY nice! Not sure about membership costs but it is a nice facility and the members are friendly as well.)
Good Advice, and also.... check the bulletin boards of any club you wander into for member boats for sale. That is more complicated with the pandemic, but hopefully that too will abate this summer. Hopefully.

I know of several boats that sold privately in our 150 boat moorage in the last year. All were word of mouth or sometimes via local CraigsList.
Brokers never see these.

One member found and bought a clean C&C34 from a nearby YC, also thru word of mouth, and it's now in our moorage.

Check with whoever manages the moorage in several clubs. Check the cork boards for commercial marinas, too.
And, of course, try your own 'wanted' ad on CL.

Another example -- a friend of mine with an 0-911S just told me yesterday that he is now starting to consider selling. Still making up his mind... I advised him to list it here on our For Sale forum. We shall see.
Good luck!

Aside: if you like the late model Ericson's with the aft cabin and aft head, keep your eyes open for an Olson 34. Similar layout.
:)

sf1332

Member II

Christian, Thank you for your advice. Yes, I've been researching and shopping perhaps too obsessively to the point of annoying my wife. (probably I am not the only one!). I've seen about 12 boats last summer, and about 6 this winter/spring, and have done so much research on internet, and talked to several owners extensively, so I do feel like a "temporary expert". I am currently looking at C&C's, Pearson's, etc. as well that are coming up around me within (relatively) easy driving distance. Learned to avoid certain radial stress cracks around the fin keel (especially when interior bulk head is misaligned and the asking price is really attractive but not sold yet), to avoid owners who refuse to open up cabin sole boards at the survey, etc. What is also interesting is that there are a lot of 15k to 30k boats that are 30-35' but not as many available in 30k to 50k range in the Great Lakes area. At this point, I am not hopeful that I will find an Ericson as my first boat as the supply is so low in my area.

sf1332

Member II
Good Advice, and also.... check the bulletin boards of any club you wander into for member boats for sale. That is more complicated with the pandemic, but hopefully that too will abate this summer. Hopefully.

I know of several boats that sold privately in our 150 boat moorage in the last year. All were word of mouth or sometimes via local CraigsList.
Brokers never see these.

One member found and bought a clean C&C34 from a nearby YC, also thru word of mouth, and it's now in our moorage.

Check with whoever manages the moorage in several clubs. Check the cork boards for commercial marinas, too.
And, of course, try your own 'wanted' ad on CL.

Another example -- a friend of mine with an 0-911S just told me yesterday that he is now starting to consider selling. Still making up his mind... I advised him to list it here on our For Sale forum. We shall see.
Good luck!

Aside: if you like the late model Ericson's with the aft cabin and aft head, keep your eyes open for an Olson 34. Similar layout.
:)
Loren, that's a great advice and I will do more of that. I do check Erie Yacht Club classifieds once in a while, and have missed out on Cal33 posting late fall last year. Called the club member who listed the boat, and he said the boat was sold quickly to, guess whom, another club member! I think I will expand this yacht club searches to broader areas than just Erie now. Thank you!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strictly FWIW, I would put Pearson's much lower down on your list, at least the ones from the 80's. When we were shopping we toured one (about 33') and got to the rubber gasket stanchion bases - wobbling back n forth with water oozing out, and walked away. It's a pretty sure way to allow water into deck coring, and no other common production builder was using this that I know of. This was a very long way from the EY method of attachment of deck hardware in that era.

Last edited: