• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WANTED: Tiller mount for thru-hull rudder

andrew

Recently purchased a 1969 Ericson 23 with a thru-hull rudder assembly. The tiller mount fits into the thru-hull fitting and has, incorporated into one piece of metal, two "pin mounts" (small holes for a bolt to slide through) for the tiller. One of these has been broken off (as can be seen in the photo).

Looking for a replacement part, hopefully just the tiller mount - probably the entire thru-hull rudder fitting.

Thank you,
Andrew

Attachments

• tillermount.jpg
    tillermount.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Good catch, Nate, on locating a good source. A local boatyard/machine shop can also do this custom, but will certainy cost more.
Andrew, when you are shopping, it will help to use the more common terminology-the cap on the rudder post is usually referred to as......."rudder post cap", and the forks are norrmally called a "tiller head" or the whiole together is a "tiller head assembly". I have also heard those forks referred to as....."forks" (who'd a-thunk it?).

If any of our other old salts have other names for these pieces please post em. BTW-on outoard-hung rudders, the pieces which are fastened on to the actual hull(usually while a hole to accept a part attached to the rudder) are known as "gudgeons", and the rounded tube shaped "male" parts attached to the rudder are known as "pintles"-Pintles fit into Gudgeons,,,, Gudgeons are attached to the hull and pintles are attached to the rudder.

When you have an inboard rudder, sometimes this is the terminology used, and sometimes (since it is usually just one fitting (with an attachment point on each end; one for the rudder and one for the hull), they are called "rudder mounts"

Cheers,
S

marcshep

Howdy all,

In looking at the tiller head assy that is at edison marine it shows that it's a single bolt through for a threaded head where the Ericson appears to have 4 bolts to hold the head assy on and i am not sure if it's threaded.
I at this time have a head thats fine but I need the forks and a new tiller. The po of my 23 used cheap iron straps and a 2x2 to replace the tiller

Marc S.