• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: Vinyl glazing for fixed ports, 3/16" glass

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone have 20 feet of gasket to sell me?

I have begun the final port re-bedding project on the 'Project' and the first port I removed, from the nav station, has a ruined vinyl gasket/glazing seal. The replacement is available from Catalina direct and from the C. R. Lawrence company in Ohio. However, I only anticipate needing a 6-foot length for this port. The other two are not leaking through the glazing and I won't even have to split the frames on those. Catalina is pretty expensive, and the Lawrence option, while cheaper, is for 100 feet of it. I'll be glad to buy enough for all three remaining ports, just in case. Thanks!

peaman

Sustaining Member
I plan to rework the fixed lights on my 1987 32-3 before April. I wonder if this material is what I will need? I haven't disassembled them, yet, so haven't seen what's there, nor do I know the required length, but would likely need in the range of 24 feet.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If your ports look like this, then yes, they probably use that vinyl glazing.

Attachments

• 20180222_152310-small.jpg
    20180222_152310-small.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 25

Parrothead

Member III
Maybe an opportunity brewing:
  • Confirm glass thickness first. I was involved with a 26-2 window refurb and the glass was 1/8".
  • This thread looks like it might be the beginning of a co-op purchase. There are two members already in need, one or two more and the 100 foot minimum length roll could be split up pretty evenly.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Glass thickness may be important, yes. I recently bought a piece of "1/8 window glass" (not Tempered) at the hardware store that measures 0.10 approximately. Maybe glass is measured like dimensioned lumber, before it is ground/polished or something. Like a 2x4 stick of wood is actually not quite 2" x 4".

The glass in my port is approximately 0.13 thick. My old black vinyl glazing is 1/8" at the bottom of the channel. So, probably eighth inch, really.

The channel depth of my frame is 0.40. CR Lawrence carries several of these glazing products for 1/8 and 3/16 glass and varying frame depths.

Last edited:

Parrothead

Member III
The Catalina Direct kit has 3/16" glazing vinyl because Catalina windows had 3/16" glass. Using their kit with 1/8" glass would be a recipe for future aggravation. You're really better off buying your own vinyl of the proper size for the best chance at a successful result. The only thing worse than doing this job is doing it twice.

bumbugo

Member I
I too need to re-bed my fixed port lights on my 1986 32-3- only on the port side. I think I understand the glazing process, but unsure about the removal of existing port light and aluminum (what I think is aluminum) frame.

Parrothead

Member III
I think I understand the glazing process, but unsure about the removal of existing port light and aluminum (what I think is aluminum) frame.
A few years ago I had a brief how-to article published in Mainsheet Magazine on aluminum framed window refurbishment. It goes beyond the instructions included in the Catalina Direct kit but still I never felt it was all that difficult. My refurbished windows have thus far been leak free for 8 years.

If anyone is interested I can provide it here.

billie williams

Member II
A few years ago I had a brief how-to article published in Mainsheet Magazine on aluminum framed window refurbishment. It goes beyond the instructions included in the Catalina Direct kit but still I never felt it was all that difficult. My refurbished windows have thus far been leak free for 8 years.

If anyone is interested I can provide it here.
Yes, that would be great if you could post your article.Thanks!

Parrothead

Member III
Here is the actual article submission to Mainsheet Magazine. As Mainsheet is a publication of the Catalina Owners Association the article has a few references to that brand but be assured, the aluminum framed window construction is identical to Ericsons.

Attachments

• Catalina 30 Window Refurb.pdf
    382.2 KB · Views: 27

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I stripped the frames, had them powder coated, then used black automotive butyl to bed the new glass. Finished by masking the glass and sealed with DOW 795 Structural Glazing sealer, which is what holds the windows on skyscrapers.

From this:
20190731_144854-X2.jpg

To
20191103_134458-XL.jpg

Same for the hatches. This shows masking the glass before applying the 795: (white inside and black outside)
20200121_135803-XL.jpg

The white 795 can be seen here between the white frame and clear plexi. Using this double seal where either sealant is sufficient, they will never leak again and pity for the next person who has to replace the glass or plexi.
20200208_161603-XL.jpg

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Despite the discussion, I am interested in the vinyl glazing for 3/16" glass from Catalina, if someone has some leftover glazing they are willing to sell me. Others have reported success with it. The effectiveness of the glazing can be tested by re-assembling the glass into frames. And given the tiny difference between 1/8" and 3/16" I suspect it might work since the glazing is successful if the glass is tightly captured by the glazing after being inserted into the frame. The width of the channel for the glass is less important than the overall width of the glass and glazing compared to the width of the channel in the frame. The depth of the channel also affects success.

If I end up buying a lot of either 1/8" or 3/16" glazing, I'll describe it and put the leftovers up for sale at a later date.

Thanks.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
If I end up buying a lot of either 1/8" or 3/16" glazing, I'll describe it and put the leftovers up for sale at a later date.
If you do, I'd definitely be interested in some 1/8". @Parrothead mentioned that's the correct size for my boat.

Mine don't leak currently (I don't think, anyway), but it's probably a worthwhile preventive measure. Though what @Shelman did for portlights on his E-26 is tempting, too. Similar to the portlights on the Olsons.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I found a 100 foot roll of the CRL glazing for 3/16" glass at a local Speedy Glass place. The manager sold me 12 feet of it. It has the 3 ribs just like the Catalina Direct kits and is one of the ones sold on the CR Lawrence site. He said they don't use it much anymore. After I experiment with it I'll report back.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Does anyone have 20 feet of gasket to sell me?

I have begun the final port re-bedding project on the 'Project' and the first port I removed, from the nav station, has a ruined vinyl gasket/glazing seal. The replacement is available from Catalina direct and from the C. R. Lawrence company in Ohio. However, I only anticipate needing a 6-foot length for this port. The other two are not leaking through the glazing and I won't even have to split the frames on those. Catalina is pretty expensive, and the Lawrence option, while cheaper, is for 100 feet of it. I'll be glad to buy enough for all three remaining ports, just in case. Thanks!

(Posted this a very long time ago)
This company has EVERYTHING in vinyl/rubber gasket seals, shapes & sizes.

A cheaper solution than from Catalina Yachts... CONTACT INFORMATION: LK Technology, Inc. 5116 Warrensville Ctr Rd Cleveland, Ohio 44137 (888.663.9830)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
(Posted this a very long time ago)
This company has EVERYTHING in vinyl/rubber gasket seals, shapes & sizes.

A cheaper solution than from Catalina Yachts... CONTACT INFORMATION: LK Technology, Inc. 5116 Warrensville Ctr Rd Cleveland, Ohio 44137 (888.663.9830)
Thanks. Several sizes of glazing from CRL are sold on that site. LK Technology is a good place to check out of you need a lot of the glazing.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I found a 100 foot roll of the CRL glazing for 3/16" glass at a local Speedy Glass place. The manager sold me 12 feet of it. It has the 3 ribs just like the Catalina Direct kits and is one of the ones sold on the CR Lawrence site. He said they don't use it much anymore. After I experiment with it I'll report back.
This glazing is not the right size. I may go back and get the CRL part number and see if he has any other glazing. The fit is not tight in the channel and the upper lip is not large (wide) enough. It may have worked if the glass was 3/16", but the fit was so loose I rather doubt it. The gray is the new, the black is the old.

20220122_092735-crop.jpg

Parrothead

Member III
Comparing your two seals, old and new, I strongly suspect your old seals were repaired by a P.O. Catalina Yachts issued a repair directive (attached) instructing the user to cut the outer exposed vinyl away with a razor knife then applying a bead of silicone sealant externally. It never worked, at least not for very long and in my opinion it was shocking the company endorsed it.

The profile of your old seal looks to me like it fell victim to bad advice. Sorry for the poor quality of the attachment, it was the best I could find.

Catalina window repair directive.jpg

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
For mine, somebody tried to bed the vinyl with silicone. This was a lot more effort than to trim the rubber and add silicone with the windows still installed.
It failed miserably.
20190731_144854-4K.jpg