• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water entering rudder post E-27

Jet Stream

I've been trying to determine in the last year where an extensive ammount of water has been coming from in my bilge. Well alas I've found the source.Yesterday while running at excessivly high RPMs on my Yanmar 2GM the stern sits quite low in the water (exhaust outlet is level with water line). While inspecting the bilge I noticed a waterfall entering the bilge and coming from the aft. I went on the hunt and found that water was coming from the rudder post. It seems to be travelling up the post inside the fiberglass casing that surrounds the post between the hull up to the deck and then draining outside the casing and coming down the outside of the fiberglass casing (that small area beside the quarter berth between the cockpit floor and the engine box where the post is visible) and draining into the quarter berth area before it finds it way to the bilge. I have a 1974 E-27 with a tiller, What do I do????

Thanks,
Sean Croft

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is a bronze stuffing box at the top of my rudder shaft. Perhaps there is one on yours??
Loren in PDX

Joe Benedict

Member II
I thought I had this problem with my e29. Since both vessels are similiar and if you can't actually see the leak you may want to try this - or anyone else that has a sometimes leak. I was taking on water but only sometimes and when a few people were in the stern. The area you speak of is really tough to see and I thought I could see a crack in the tube. I stuck a digital camera from the rear of the engine back and saw something just hanging in one of the shots. I finally was able to get this old body through the cockpit port hatch and could see that the T fitting for 2 of the cockpit drains had come undone. It sits just about two thirds of the way up the rudder post and was leaking down the post. There is a detail of this in the e27 manual posted on the site and in a separate file covering the plumbing for both the e27 and e29. The e29 manual on the site does not have this detail even though it is supposed to.

Jet Stream

Thanks all,

Still no luck.
Does the 27 actually have a stuffing box associated with the rudder?
I pulled off the tiller mount and found the hollow rudder post wich seems to float freely up and down. I shone a flashlight into the post and was able to see down to what I think is the glass of the rudder. I also checked the cockpit drain from below and all seems secure. There is some vertical play in the post (about 1/16th of an inch), I believe this is normal as I was able to examine a 24 out of the water and speak with the owner who told me his has always been like that.
After viewing the rudder shaft diagrams on this site, it appears there is a bushing around the outside, I imagine this is the problem. I'm hauling out this week and will be able to remove my rudder, what is appropriate for a bushing material?
Any ideas??

Last edited:

Joe Benedict

Member II
There is another thread entitled "E27 Rudder (Bushing)" and refered to under "Similiar Threads" that describes the material used in the bushing and its removal. (I don't know how to use the quote function.) Before you haul out (and perhaps stay out for some period of time) you may want to get a machinist "on-board" first. However, I don't believe the bushing has anything to do with being watertight just the amount of play and vibration in the steering - the bearing just keeps the rudder shaft centered in the rudder post. Keep us advised.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
See e27-e29_rudder_assembly.pdf under Specs and Docs on this web site. I have had my rudder completely apart and I did not see any stuffing box. I don't believe there is one. See attachment of page 2 from e27-e29_rudder_assembly.pdf.

Attachments

• e27-e29_rudder_assembly02.jpg
    e27-e29_rudder_assembly02.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 256

Jet Stream

Thanks again all,

Talked to my yard guys while I had it out of the water and he told me to add splash type washer right below the tiller head. He said I could simply use a piece of PVC or other type nylon washer that woul slip over the shaft and prevent water from coming up. Also this would take up the 16th of an inch vertical play that I and others have in their rudder post. I have not done this yet but sounds like an easy and cheap fix. :)