• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wax on the deck?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I tried Aurora Sure Step in the past, and found it to be ineffective. It was more slippery than I wanted on the non skid, and didn't seem to offer any protection. I've not used it since.
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
OK! Thanks for all the responses. Great info. I have a navy blue hull so the woody wax sounds like a nightmare. The surfboard wax looked interesting but it seems like it might be too thick or might melt off. I’ll reconsider my options, or more likely probably just deal with it. Maybe I will test some grout sealer or something similar on a small isolated section somewhere

JSM

Member III
Planning on compounding and waxing my deck this spring. For years I have been using Roll Off soap to clean my decks and have recently heard that Roll Off will strip the wax off. Anyone have any experience with wax being stripped off by cleaners ?

pmarsha3

Member II
Bruce, I wax the cabin top, cockpit and some of the deck.

Most people don't believe me, but I use Zep Wet look floor wax.

For instructions, Google RedMax Pro. That product is obsolete, so we all moved to Zep Wet Look and it works just fine.

Paul

Attachments

• 20180805_190244.jpg
    20180805_190244.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Bruce, I wax the cabin top, cockpit and some of the deck.

Most people don't believe me, but I use Zep Wet look floor wax.

For instructions, Google RedMax Pro. That product is obsolete, so we all moved to Zep Wet Look and it works just fine.

Paul
This looks awesome, right until the part where he says, "You've just gotta get five or six coats on it..." :)

celticpiper

Well, I don't wax the nonskid surfaces, which on my boat are specialized gelcoat.

But goodness, yes, I have the decks waxed twice a year, and the hull once a year. Deck: $300. Hull and Deck: $750. I have learned to remove canvas covers and to wrap some hardware in painters tape against overspray from the polish. Of course we can do it ourselves, but I watched the guy on the Tartan 38 next door for a couple of years, 70 years old in knee-pads bent over all day. I feel the maximum age for waxing your own boat is 55, when I quit windsurfing for the same reason: you look like an idiot compared to everybody else.

Old unwaxed gel coat, doesn't that absorb every spilled drop of wine or stomped potato chip?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Your hull looks like new in that pic. As far as the deck what kind of of prep before you waxed & did it make your deck more slippery when wet ?