• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Weather Station?

David Grimm

E38-200
Hello all, I am contemplating what weather instruments to purchase for outside temperature, humidity as well as below deck. I have contemplated some nmea 2000 devices but I don't want to keep all of that powerd up while at anchor or just sitting at the dock. I also thought about the weems and plath temp/humidity for in the cabin to match the clock and barometer but that doesn't tell me outside temps. Then there are a bunch of multi digital units. What do you guys have? Any suggestions?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
There are all kinds of cheap imported digital thermometers with remote probes. I think i got one for the icebox for $4. I suppose any generic home weather unit would do - although finding one that runs on 12V DC may be a little tricky.

That said, I did collect a few nmea 2000 add-ons over the last couple of years. (When a boat-buck is just burning a hole in your pocket...) I got the Yacht Devices temperature and barometer units that just plug into an empty spot on the buss. I wanted to be able to display a graph of pressure over time, not just the current pressure. (It turns out that my current MFD doesn't do that.) But yeah, you have to leave the chartplotter and instruments circuits on all the time. And the little LEDs blink all the time - hopefully all hidden away in the woodwork somewhere.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I keep looking for a recording weather station for my house. Every product/kit I review has a high number of failure complaints, uses batteries (on the roof), cheap components exposed to the elements, or just mysteriously stops working after 6 months. Any success story appreciated.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
At home, I‘ve had a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro station for over twenty years. (Good sailing pedigree, btw.) Of course, the models on offer now are a bit different. Mine is wireless - I’d probably go with a wired version now. Over time, the solar cell has gotten rather opaque and it doesn’t charge enough on short winter days to last all night. Also, I’d get a heated rain bucket so it measures snow accurately. When we were still running orchard heaters (before diesel got crazy expensive) I’d take the receiver to bed during blossom season for the frost alarm. Oh, and I do have to go up on the roof once every year or two to clean wasp nests out of the rain bucket. Maybe once every five years to replace the battery.
1614664542494.jpeg

More recently, I got a WeatherFlow “smart” station when they had them on kickstarter, as the Davis was getting a bit long in the tooth. By the same people who do “SailFlow” and “iKitesurf.” (Their offerings have also evolved since the kickstarter days.) At the time, they were also promoting it as something you could use on a sailboat, but I dunno. Really, I prefer the Davis. The Weatherflow doesn’t have a console to look at - you have to open the app on your phone to see the data. And it loops through their website. It doesn’t measure snow at all (acoustic rain sensor). There were problems with some of the kickstarter hardware, and it was years late. But they replaced the faulty units promptly and the company seems to be up and running now.
1614665178365.png

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
FWIW, the other part of the home weather station is a “purple air” air quality monitor. Chiefly of interest during wildfire season. So you can see if this stuff is actually harming you today. It doesn’t have a local readout at all - you have to go to their website to see the reading of your station. So if one of your neighbors happens to have one, there’s no sense buying one yourself.

David Grimm

E38-200
10-15 years ago I purchased this Acu-rite weather station at Wal-Mart. It has served our Fire Station well. Not that fancy, didn't cost very much and it's still working today. Anyone have any experience with this fancy 01009M bundle?

Attachments

• 20210302_205424.jpg
    20210302_205424.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210302-214651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-214651_Chrome.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 9

Navman

Member III
I just use a battery operated on right off the shelf weather station. Cost 45 bucks and lasts 5-6 years. Has large display for indoor and outdoor temps, indoor and outdoor humidity, barometer and alarm, clock with alarm. I can get the wind off my instruments. I just tape the small unobtrusive outdoor sensor to the push pit and forget it.