• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WEBCAMS of Member Home Ports

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Piece of cake, no? Used to be bits of aluminum under the cliff. Fun when the fog starts rolling in after lunch and you run for the plane to get out of there fast....

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Piece of cake, no? Used to be bits of aluminum under the cliff. Fun when the fog starts rolling in after lunch and you run for the plane to get out of there fast....

I don't remember the runway so nice and smooth as in this video....! But I do remember the approach and especially that departure!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Might just be the perspective view, but it looks like you would need to be ready to apply full power in case the hook misses the arresting cable.....
:)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Airport in the Sky" on Catalina is (or was) sort of a rite of passage around here. Tallyho and all that. You approach a sheer cliff, whereas most pilots are used to seeing the ground 800 feet below during approach. You can't see most of the runway, which looks dauntingly short on touchdown (but it's really 3,000 feet long, far more than needed). Nerves of steel etc. and all that. As Tex says it used to be full of potholes and heaves, but apparently has been fixed up.

Pilots use (or once did) the airport for the proverbial $100 hamburger, to exercise the airplane and buy lunch. It is very similar to going for a sail just to remind yourself how. Alas, there is no real utility, no scheduled service, no car rental, and the airport offers no convenience for neither sailors or tourists.

It's a gem, but no doubt threatened, as all small airports are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Airport

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice article, and Thank You Martin!
By coincidence, my digital copy of the October EAA magazine arrived in my email box this am, as well....
:)

JPS27

Member III
I could only find webcams of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and other traffic cams. As an aside, the technology behind the expansion of the new HRBT is fascinating and for the next 5 years is going to require even more vigilance as we sail/motor out into the chesapeake from the James River.