• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Weighing Boat's History

artsdean

Thanks for the response to my earlier post in search of an Ericson 27. Most helpful.

I have found a half a dozen, many of which will involve some overland trucking, which I think is just a price/value issue.

But I would like some advice from you, the more-informed-than-me members of this group about the following.

1. Two boats have been out of the water for 5 or 6 years years. I assume this is good, in terms of wear and tear. Do I assume correctly?

2. One of the boats has always been a freshwater boat. it would be long truck ride. Does the lack of previous exposure to saltwater (until, of course, I drop it into Nantucket Sound) justify the significant trouble and expense of going there, seeing it, surveying it, and giving it a long truck ride, given the boat prices are pretty much the same?

Thanks

Roger

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fresh water good?

Originally posted by artsdean
[
I have found a half a dozen, many of which will involve some overland trucking, which I think is just a price/value issue.

But I would like some advice from you, the more-informed-than-me members of this group about the following.

1. Two boats have been out of the water for 5 or 6 years years. I assume this is good, in terms of wear and tear. Do I assume correctly?
>>Generally yes, less use should equal less wear, except that the inboards may have corrosion problems internally from rust around the rings and cylinder walls. Also, if stored with the rig up, the standing rigging continues to degrade. Of course if the rigging is over 12 to 15 years old I would replace it anyway.<<
2. One of the boats has always been a freshwater boat. it would be long truck ride. Does the lack of previous exposure to saltwater (until, of course, I drop it into Nantucket Sound) justify the significant trouble and expense of going there, seeing it, surveying it, and giving it a long truck ride, given the boat prices are pretty much the same?
>>A freshwater background is preferable - less corrosion on all the external alum. and ss fittings. If it was a Great Lakes boat, they only get about half the actual use of a boat in a year-around sailing area like the NW, where I live.
As always, get a good survey, and ymmv.
Loren<<

Roger [/B]

Billk

The question of an older boat always depends on condition and equipment. I have found that the cost of repairs and upgrades can equall and even exceed the purchase price of a boat like an E-27. Find out as much as you can about the boats and if any upgrading was done by the former ownwer. The main reason I bought my E-27 was that it was obvious from talking to the former owner that he had taken great care of it. I still have done a lot more to get it the way I want it.
Rain is the source of most water related damage whether the boat is stored in the water or on land. Also if the boat has been in storage for 5 years has the owner kept an eye on it or has it been let go? Has it been supported properly. I once saw a boat with two dents in the hull where it had settled around the stands.
Ericson made over 1300 E-27's. I would try to find one near rather than far. On a boat in this price range trucking can become a big percent of the purchase price. Also don't rule out other boats. I found my Ericson while looking at a Morgan in a local marina, and I just happened to see the for sale notice.