• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Welcome to EricsonYachts.org - v.5!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Welcome back to EricsonYachts.org - now Version 5!

We have completed the heavy portion of the migration and have brought over the database from our old vBulletin platform. The data contained in this migration is that from last Monday, January 12th when I shut the site down for processing. In the last week there has been much drama and some number of issues surrounding the transfer of this data, with the most contentious portion of it involving the blogs module.

Thankfully, I managed to locate a developer who was instrumental in getting this data out of our old db and into the new one and resolve a number of other issues along the way. That same developer is still doing a few things for us, as the site at this writing (Sunday night, Jan 19th) the site is about 90% complete as far as the migration is concerned. Once the dust settles, we will be making a huge effort to make some corrections in the data and clean up a number of other issues.

Please note the following items. This site consists of four primary modules, plus a few extra pages for the administration and guidance. These modules are:
  • XenForo 2.1.6 P1 - Forums (the main app) - self explanatory.
  • UBS Blogs 2.1.10 - a near level 1 add-on blogging add-on to help expand functionality in that area.
  • Resources 2.1.5 - a level 1 add-on to provide us with functionality for an archive/library for all our documents
  • Media Gallery 2.1.6 - a level 1 add-on to provide us with functionality for media display (images mostly, but also videos, etc)
  • Number of smaller add-ons to improve functionality.
I have spent the better part of the last two weeks combing through the old and new websites cleaning things up and re configuring a number of items. As of this writing, there are four major areas remaining to be addressed:

To Do:
  • Resources/vB Downloads Transfer : transfer of the existing archive over to this platform. This has been a lower priority issue, and should be picked up on Monday, while users are looking around. Please stay out of the Resources module until we can import the data from the old database. It is intentionally left empty to facilitate that transfer. You can view and post in the forums, blogs and media - but please refrain from attempting to do anything in the Resources module until we complete our work.
  • Front Page : Yes, the Front Page (and the Ericson Model rotation) is not complete yet either. That is even lower priority, but should be completed and added onto the site on Monday/Wednesday.
  • Clean Up of Existing Blogs Category Classifications : This is housekeeping - reviewing each blog post and placing it into the category it belongs. This is laborious work - however it has to be done.
  • Clean Up of Existing Gallery Category Classifications : This is housekeeping - reviewing each gallery post and placing it into the category it belongs. This is laborious work - however it has to be done.
  • Old EY.o links contained in the body of posts are now invalid. I am working on this and will be seeing about running some scripts against the db going forward to correct these - this was a problem that could not be solved within existing parameters - so it will have to be done in SQL itself. Stay tuned on this issue.
  • Other Misc. Housekeeping : I need to check a number of other issues and then start to clean up the server and take out the trash.

What You Can Do (you may have seen this on the migration status page):

Know your login credentials.

The new site uses the same login credentials, so it is important that you know what they are.​
If you have forgotten your login credentials, you can go to the browser you use, then (generically) settings, advanced, and then password management, and you should be able to locate your password. Often there are controls with a small eye icon which will show you what the password is if it is obscured, etc.​
If you still cannot locate your password and need to reset it - there is a password recovery function on the new site (see "forgot password?" near the login), and you can always email me for assistance - although please bear in mind that we will be very busy during this period.​

Update your profile and avatar.

Xenforo has many more features than the vBulletin software we were using. Now that we've migrated you will want to update your avatar as the allowable size is increasing from 50 pixels to 400 - so your old avatar will look blurry if you don't update it. Updating is simple - just login, then go to your User Control Panel and follow the prompts..​
Please also check your profile and ensure that it is up to date and accurate (including your signature - as the migration blew out all the signatures), including links to your social media accounts.​

Check/correct/adjust your blog entries or recent posts.

VERY IMPORTANT - It would be very helpful to us if those of you who blog or otherwise use the site a lot could check your previous posts for completeness, attached images, etc. I don't anticipate any issues on this per se, however there could be minor formatting issues, and you know your posts better than we do. I have plowed through about half of the blog posts and will be putting a guidance document out there to advise folks how they can clean up or check their posts, however it would help us if the authors would review these themselves also.​

See Something, Say Something

If you see particular issues, please feel free to email me or contact me via the Contact Us page or "start a conversation" (what we used to call Private Message) to bring it to our attention. I'm sure there will be lots of little things (like folks avatars, signatures and titles), but we'll get through it.​
Finally - check out the site on your smart phone - you should be able to navigate it now, read posts, etc!

That's it for now -- take a look around and explore. Back to work! :egrin:

//sse

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Thanks Sean! Data & system migrations never seem to go as smoothly as planned.

We appreciate your work keeping this site alive and up-to-date!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like a number of problems were solved in the move. That's a LOT of work!
Looking forward to blog photos being re-linked. I have not found my album of photos, presume there are here somewhere.
As as Cory points out, these changes are never without pieces to address. It's kind of like a big earthquake with a number of "aftershocks".
Catch ya later.
Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A heroic accomplishment! Welcome to 2020--the Year of Perfect Corrected Vision.

Now begins the familiarization process...

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sounds like a number of problems were solved in the move. That's a LOT of work!
Looking forward to blog photos being re-linked. I have not found my album of photos, presume there are here somewhere.
As as Cory points out, these changes are never without pieces to address. It's kind of like a big earthquake with a number of "aftershocks".
Catch ya later.
Loren
On the albums - you should be able to relocate them by Media\Your Content

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Congratulations on making this far and thank you for taking on the frustration. Going post by post to create the sub-forums is a lengthy task.
When we moved a different forum to XenForo we had to rebuild a lot of links one by one and it was truly tedious. The forum was old enough that the older ones were left.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
On the albums - you should be able to relocate them by Media\Your Content
The media posts will be gone through as well - right now it's one thing at a time and as our friend just pointed out, it's tedious as hell (been in my pajamas for a week now).

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This all looks and feels VERY fancy - like Grey Poupon compared to the old site (which was perfectly OK as far as I was concerned).

Thank you, Sean!

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
This all looks and feels VERY fancy - like Grey Poupon compared to the old site (which was perfectly OK as far as I was concerned).
Yeah, the issue there was, however that vBulletin was not keeping up their code - and the site was getting bombarded by spammers and hackers - not to mention that their updates were not sufficient and feature-wise they were not keeping up. So, going forward "staying on the old site" was not really an option (aka, slow keel separation).

Turns out vBulletin was purchased by a much bigger fish years before - who (apparently) decided to take more profits from the company rather than plow them back into development. The guys who developed XenForo (this platform) are some of the original guys from vBulletin back when it was still owned by Jelsoft - so that bodes well for the future, and was part of this decision.

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
The media posts will be gone through as well - right now it's one thing at a time and as our friend just pointed out, it's tedious as hell (been in my pajamas for a week now).
Firstly, thanks SO MUCH for all that you do to keep this site up and running! The mobile display is absolutely fantastic and the ability to go straight to an update or post reply from an email update is also quite handy.

I'm happy to see your update that the media posts are a work-in-progress, as I had several albums previously but presently have "no media uploaded" and "no albums uploaded" in the "Media" area (whereas I did have several albums and attachments with the previous version). Take your time, and thanks for keeping us all updated as you're progressing with the migration and updates.

You guys are awesome!!!!

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
...I'm happy to see your update that the media posts are a work-in-progress, as I had several albums previously but presently have "no media uploaded" and "no albums uploaded" in the "Media" area (whereas I did have several albums and attachments with the previous version)....

Where these albums rated as personal (not viewable by others, only by the owner)? As we have a about 60+ media items within albums which appear not to be recoverable at this point -- and there are no personal albums going forward (ie - all albums are fully viewable by everyone). Let me know and I'll it to the list of stuff to look at...