• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

We're new owners of a E27.

Blue Heron

Just recently finished the purchase of a 1975 E27. She has a Volvo inboard and needs mostly cosmetic upgrades and fresh sails. We are HAPPY:egrin:!!! We hail from Beaufort, NC and seem to be in minority as far as Ericson owners here go. We also really like this forum and love the abundance of information and knowledgable members.

Matt P.
S/V "Little Wing" E27
Beaufort, NC

mac666

new owner since last night

Just bought a 1978 E27 with wheel steering and Atomic4. and have many questions. for instance: wiring diagrams of lighting or any...deck construction and possibility if mounting winches on cabin - is there a fiberglass liner, then space...
Has anyone installed Bomar type hatches instead of the existing oroginal skylights?
How do you drain and clean a fuel tank and so on...
Has anyone here made a mast hinge to deck step a mast?
Any info appreciated!
Mac

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome Matt and Mac,

You can search the site archives with the search function above and find lots of documentation (wiring, plumbing etc) in the Resources area.

There has been a recent thread regarding hatches that might be helpful.

Dave Hussey

Member III
:egrin: Awsome! New E27 owners in the group :egrin:

What Volvo do you have? Mine is a 2 cylinder 10hp MD6B.

Welcome aboard

Last edited:

Blue Heron

Volvo MD 6A

Dave, I have the MD 6A. Don,t know the differance between the A and B, but would like to. I have some manuals and other resources so lets keep in touch.

Mine is also a 2 banger 10 horse!

Last edited:

Dave Hussey

Member III
Good morning Matt,
I noticed that your vessel's name is "Little Wing"...mine's "Blue Wing" ...might be cousins :egrin:

The primary difference between the A and the B engines is that the A model has a starter/generator hybrid, whereas the B has seperate starter, and alternator. There is a guy in our marina with an A model in another brand boat, and he likes it alot.

One irritation however...the Volvo turns the prop counter clockwise, opposite the original Atomic 4. My boat has an offset shaft (a factory experiment I guess, to compensate for torque from the original right hand turning engine.) There are some discussions about shaft offset on this board. This creates an excessive tendency to veer to starboard under way, and subsequently, requires a lot of extra force on the tiller by the helmsman (me) to compensate. I probably loose a knot or two in drag alone. You may not have that on your boat and I would be very envious. Fortunately the little engine is miserly on fuel consumption.

:cheers:

tooblaaave

Member I
love the E27

welcome, this is a great site. learn to search through the arcives, I have learned so much from the excellent folks here, you can go to face book and check out Nigel Barron, he races his 27 and its preety tricked out. He knows a great deal.