• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Whale Gusher 10 waste pump

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
As I attempted to service the manual pump for the waste pump out, I found it to be beyond service. There is significant corrosion on the flanges and I am unable to remove several of the screws that secure the two flapper valves, even with an impact driver following a PB Blaster soak.

I propose to replace the pump with a Whale Mk 5. Has anyone else gone this route? It is constructed of acetal & glass reinforced polypropylene so it is more corrosion proof than the original cast aluminum pump body. It's cheaper, too. Defender has it for $113.

I could add a macerator pump instead, but it would be a long difficult wire run.

Dan Morehouse

Member III
Keith,
I just went through the same drill with the holding tank pump on mine. Heavily corroded, to the point of having two quarter to half inch holes eaten right through the casting. I was also thinking of replacing with a macerator, but, after beadblasting, we attempted instead to patch & fair the holes with epoxy. This actually worked ok, and we were also able to remove the screws from the flapper valves. The metal surface they fastened to was also pitted, so we mounted the new flapper assembly with RTV sealant and got it to function that way. It may be worth trying another type of penetrating oil & having another go at the screws. I didn't even attempt to remove them until after the pump body was successfully repaired, so they sat with penetrating oil on them for over a week.
If you do get forced to go to the Mk. V, it looks like that pump body isn't configured the same as the original, and that will complicate the installation. Do you have the same Gusher 10 as a manual bilge pump? If so, would it be easier to install a Mk. V in place of the bilge pump and relocate the bilge pump to serve as the holding tank pump?

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

WhiteNoise

Member III
Same problem

Me Too! I actually am planning to replace the one in my cockpit (bilge) with one of the new designs that house the handle on the pump. I plan to move the one that was outside to replace the one that corroded like yours.

Gets me thinking that this one will probably corrode too. I may reconsider.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Keith,
If you do get forced to go to the Mk. V, it looks like that pump body isn't configured the same as the original, and that will complicate the installation. Do you have the same Gusher 10 as a manual bilge pump? If so, would it be easier to install a Mk. V in place of the bilge pump and relocate the bilge pump to serve as the holding tank pump?

Dan,

I will see about that. The Mk V is ordered. The aft manual bilge pump is a b....
to get to on my boat. I have to crawl like a worm around the rudder shaft & steering quadrant, all while taking tools with me. I haven't gotten to that yet, but soon. I may find the same problems with that pump, too, or it may have a short future life if it swap it.:esad: