• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Whale Gusher for Holding Tank

mizunoman101

Member I
We own an 1984 Ericson 35-3. I need to get into the cabinet behind the head , to tighten and service the Whale Gusher Pump for the Holding Tank Pump Out. We do not use it, but are noticing an odor coming from behind the toilet. So...either we have a failing hose clamp or the bellows on the Whale Gusher has dried out and cracked. Question is... Has anyone ever disassembled the cabinets behind the head? If so... I would appreciate some suggestions on where to start. I love my Ericson, but as with a number of things on the 35... IMPOSSIBLE to reach for service. Thank you.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
We own an 1984 Ericson 35-3. I need to get into the cabinet behind the head , to tighten and service the Whale Gusher Pump for the Holding Tank Pump Out. We do not use it, but are noticing an odor coming from behind the toilet. So...either we have a failing hose clamp or the bellows on the Whale Gusher has dried out and cracked. Question is... Has anyone ever disassembled the cabinets behind the head? If so... I would appreciate some suggestions on where to start. I love my Ericson, but as with a number of things on the 35... IMPOSSIBLE to reach for service. Thank you.
Could not agree more... keep us posted on how you do it. Pictures too.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I just replaced my gusher pump with my head system rebuild. I couldn't figure out a way to easily reach everything so I cut an access hole and will cover it with a panel with a few holes for the valve handles. It's so much easier with the access hole.

20210429_180855.jpg20201206_135440.jpg20210227_122333.jpg

ddoles

Member III
Another point to consider in locating the source of the odor is the hoses themselves. If the hoses are more than 10 years old, they are suspect. An easy test is to wipe the exterior of the hose with a wet cloth. Smell the cloth and you will know if the hose is permeating. If the hoses are original, they should definitely be replaced. I replaced my hoses last year, which I believe were original. It is quite a job, but well worth it. While I was tearing everything apart I also replaced the Whale Gusher. It was so corroded as to be unsalvageable.

mizunoman101

Member I
Absolutely, a Macerator is the way to go, but getting in there is absolutely impossible... unless we take apart the cabinet. I like the idea of Trickdhat to cut an access panel...

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I have an abandoned whale gusher in the head and have contemplated removing but every time I try to get near it, my knuckles start bleeding. The PO went so far as to glass over the through hull but left the pump.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I second the hose comment… if they are older than 10 years time to do the replacement. When I did my full head system replacement project on a 28 I was able to remove the pump through the sink cabinet… it required a second set of hands in a tight space but was doable. I then rebuilt and replaced the whale pump along with all hoses, increased the diameter of the vent line, new clamps, new tank, and rebuilt the PHII head. Both the worst and best project I’ve ever done on the boat.