• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Whale gusher galley manual foot pump Mk 3, 4 gpm

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Yeah that's a great price! The above is a right-handed model. Does anyone know if the handle/pedal can be flipped to make it left-handed?

dcoyle

Member III
I replaced mine a few years ago with the newer style. I do not believe they can be reversed. Also beefed up the mounting w a piece of G10, and made it so that hopefully the pumps can be easily removed if needed.

Attachments

• 3FB44462-3941-4B7C-980C-F7B9B8F7E681.jpeg
    3FB44462-3941-4B7C-980C-F7B9B8F7E681.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 087C2CF1-3852-48C0-967F-6DB6F286C7C4.jpeg
    087C2CF1-3852-48C0-967F-6DB6F286C7C4.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 18

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

for Boats Up to 80 Feet, White, One Size​

Because boats over 80 feet should not have foot-operated water pumps?

It is too low-class?

Well, OK. I didn't know that.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I do not believe they can be reversed.
Yes, they can be reversed. The front and back parts are reversible to select whether the hoses connect on the left or right side of the pedal. The check valve modules are identical, except one is inlet one is outlet, so you can also choose whether the inlet is above or below the outlet. And the inlet and outlet nozzles can be rotated about the valve module axis to direct the nozzle as desired. They ship with different model numbers for left and right as a convenience to the buyer.

IMG_3248.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
One can buy a repair kit for these pumps, which I did but despite being very careful with the seals and reassembly, it still leaked. Very frustrating, as I then had to buy a new pump.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
The Whale Gusher Galley pump is fully reversible. See my photo above showing the five components of the unit, described below:

The unit is actually two pumps in one, as it is a "double-acting" pump, pumping out with each stroke, unlike a single acting pump which would pump (for example) only on the downstroke, but not on the upstroke.

Five components (see photo above):
The "core" includes the foot lever, diaphragm and return spring. In use, both sides of the core are wet, and the foot lever forces the diaphragm to push the water one way, while the return spring forces the diaphragm in the opposite direction.

There are two "end plates" which are mirror images of one another. By choosing which end plate goes on the foot lever side of the core, you can choose whether the pump is left-handed or right-handed.

There are two valve modules, each of which has a check valve on each end. One module has an intake check valve on each end, the other has a discharge check valve on each end. The valve modules are interchangeable top-to-bottom relative to the end plates.

In operation, pressing the foot lever will create pressure on the end plate nearest the user, while creating suction on the opposite end plate. the suction will (should) pull water in through the intake-valve-fitted valve module, while the pressure will push water out through the discharge-valve-fitted valve module. Release of the foot lever will allow the compression spring to move the core diaphragm in the opposite (away from the user) direction which will create pressure on the opposite end plate and suction on the nearest end plate. Each downstroke and each upstroke should move water from the source through one side of the intake valve module and also from the core through the opposite side of the discharge valve module.

The pump is a fully reversible double-acting diaphragm pump which can be readily disassembled and re-assembled into any available configuration. A right-hand pump may be converted to left-hand. Top discharge and bottom suction can be converted to top suction and bottom discharge.