• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What finish can I use on the interior?

Meanolddad

Member III
If you read my prior post you will see the Regalus had a small leak from a cockpit drain hose. There was one through hull hose already replaced which may have let in way to much water at one time. It looks like Regalus may have had about 7 inches of water in the cabin at one time. There is a faded ring around the woodwork down below. What would be the best finish to bring all the woodwork back to a nice appearance? Is there any thing to worry about since the wood was exposed to the salt water.
Thanks
Greg

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I had the same problem after a hurricane. I started by rinsing everything in fresh water, and degreasing the oil that came out of the engine. If the exposure was brief, and you can keep the boat in a dry climate, it may dry out and look pretty decent after a couple of months without any more intervention. If it sat under water for a while, the plywood may start to delaminate, which will mean replacing the whole thing.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I agree with Gareth, and would only add that if the woodwork was oiled (not varnished) you can probably bring it back with turpentine to clean off the stripe, and then varnish it or just re-oil it with a mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine (with a dash of japan dryer). If it was varnished you may need to sand it down to remove the waterline.

Nothing beats Epifane's varnish for refinishing. In my work (furnituremaker) I've found that it's well worth the price.

Nate

Meanolddad

Member III
I did not even notice the ring when I bought Regalus. The finish just looks a bit dry up to about 7 inches in the interior. Looks like it did not affect the engine at all. Thanks for the advice and will give the oil a try.
Thanks
Greg (M.O.D.)