• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What type of coolant ?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
35CE9E2A-7C53-45BA-9A26-E09E8E92FE5C.jpeg
This looks like my engine coolant overflow tank but the fluid in it is red . Most antifreeze I have used is greenish / yellow ( like gatorade. ) . Not sure what to use or even if I have the right tank .

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
View attachment 42700
This looks like my engine coolant overflow tank but the fluid in it is red . Most antifreeze I have used is greenish / yellow ( like gatorade. ) . Not sure what to use or even if I have the right tank .
There is a "Diesel Coolant" made specifically for diesel engines, apparently with more cleaning stuff added, and it's redish/purple in colour. I have used it for years, and it works fine. I don't know if there is any real downside to using the normal auto green/yellow coolant, but if it says diesel on it, I figure it must be sort of useful. It's about the same cost as the green stuff, but it only comes in gallons.
Frank

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Some Random Words of Wisdom from the Internet:
It’s impossible to know what chemicals are in the coolant, just by seeing whether it’s blue, green, yellow or orange.
3 Modern Coolant Types:
Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) coolants
Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) was usually found in a bright green color, and was typically used before the mid 1990s.
(source, with a bonus thread)
You don't want to mix types - it can gum up your cooling system. If you don't know what your coolant type is, the safe course is to drain, flush with water, and the refill with fresh new coolant.

My "new to me" boat has red coolant and came with a partial jug of Yanmar coolant.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My coolant was red. West Marine diesel coolant is green. There is no WM warning about mixing with other coolants.

I mixed them. The color was mud. So I felt bad, like when nobody was looking I kicked a dog or something. I mean, we are responsible to ourselves, no? If not, then to whoooom?

So I pumped all the coolant out and started over and now it's a very pretty green.

That was near $80 for two gallons of WM and sales tax. I doubt it was really necessary....

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Some Random Words of Wisdom from the Internet:

(source, with a bonus thread)
You don't want to mix types - it can gum up your cooling system. If you don't know what your coolant type is, the safe course is to drain, flush with water, and the refill with fresh new coolant.

My "new to me" boat has red coolant and came with a partial jug of Yanmar coolant.
Your reply gave me the idea that maybe I should just give List Marine a call (they serviced my engine about 18 months ago when after i first bought the boat). They are also a Yanmar dealer and repower shop, so maybe they just use Yanmar coolant (?)…

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Your reply gave me the idea that maybe I should just give List Marine a call (they serviced my engine about 18 months ago when after i first bought the boat). They are also a Yanmar dealer and repower shop, so maybe they just use Yanmar coolant (?)…
It probably is Yanmar. List Marine should be able to give you good advice.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
My notes from my first coolant exercise, a couple of years ago:
  • Normal antifreeze is 96% ethylene glycol, and 4% additives, used in a 50/50 mix (check label - some antifreeze is already pre-mixed)
    Probably green, may be labelled "inorganic" or "conventional" (e.g., Prestone, Zertex)

• "OAT" is "organic acid technology"
    Usually orange (e.g. DexCool)

• "Hybrid" = OAT plus the inhibitors from green
    May come in many different colors

• RV antifreeze is propylene glycol plus inhibitors
    Biodegradable, less toxic, often pink or purple

MaineSail says NOT to mix antifreeze types unless it says safe for all makes. "if it is green stay with green" and DO NOT MIX"

If you don't know what was in there before it is best to
-- drain
-- fill with distilled water
-- run to temp
-- drain
-- (repeat 1-2 times), and then
-- fill with new antifreeze

I did the fill/flush thing a couple of times, and have been running Prestone 50/50 mix (green) ever since.
(says it is good for any vehicle and compatible with any color (type?) of coolant...)

BTW, as an aside, I asked the tech at the local Kubota dealer for "diesel coolant". He laughed and said "it's over there on the shelf next to the blinker fluid". He implied that "diesel coolant" is an urban myth. I don't know nuthin' (and I can generally prove it), all I can say is that the Kubota guy recommended "normal coolant in a 50/50 mix in a Kubota motor", which, after all, is what our Universal diesels are under the gold paint.

I've since been advised that there is actually a kind of coolant made for heavy-duty/high-compression/high-temp diesels, but that it's probably not needed in our relatively low-load boat-motors.

From Wikipedia
"Propylene glycol methyl ether is used as an antifreeze in diesel engines. It is more volatile than glycol."

$.02
Bruce

Last edited: