• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Which spade rudder for E-35II

Ron G.

I am presently restoring/refitting a 78 35MKII. I have two (2) rudders available for install. One is the 70's trapezoid-shaped type from a 70 35MKII. The other is the newer hawkbill- shaped type with slightly less surface area. It came un-installed with my boat.

I would appreciate someone telling me which is the better of the two for install? Referrals for technical specs and comparisons would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Ron G.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Are you able to post pictures? (If not, a cheap digital camera could be money well spent.)

The original rudder has a curved leading edge, and straight trailing edge. A good number of E35 owners have installed larger rudders than the original, so that may be why you have two. I have heard a rumour that Bruce King wanted to put a larger rudder on the boat, but Ericson tried to make the boat cheaper by installing the E32 rudder - I don't know whether that is true.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

windjunkee

Member III
I had heard that the E-32 rudder was installed on the E-35's also. I had my E-32 rudder modified last year. The leading edge was made fairly straight and the width of the rudder was reduced. I also had approximately 3 sq. feet of rudder area added to make the rudder deeper and more high-aspect-ratio. I'm very pleased with the results with more lift when close hauled and better control off the wind. The cost of the modification was only about $800.00 (as opposed to a quote of $5-6,000 for the design and fabrication of a new rudder).

If you post photos of the two rudders you have, I may be able to offer some really cheap (but worth every cent) advice.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull # 134
Redondo Beach, CA

Ron G.

Gareth-
Thanks for clearing it up. The smaller of my two rudders is the original, with the curved front edge. The second (larger) was apparently a retrofit to my parts boat, a former B. Area beer can racer. I"ll be refinishing and installing the second. Thanks so much.

Ron G.

Are you able to post pictures? (If not, a cheap digital camera could be money well spent.)

The original rudder has a curved leading edge, and straight trailing edge. A good number of E35 owners have installed larger rudders than the original, so that may be why you have two. I have heard a rumour that Bruce King wanted to put a larger rudder on the boat, but Ericson tried to make the boat cheaper by installing the E32 rudder - I don't know whether that is true.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Ron G.

Windjunkee-

Thanks for your reply to "which spade rudder?" I now get it, the smaller of my two rudders is the original. The larger--two straight edges and trapezoid-- was apparently a performance retrofit to my parts boat, a former S.F. Bay beer can racer. I"ll be refinishing/using it. Thanks so much.