• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

While the mast is stepped for the keel rebed ...

Emerald

Assuming you are able to locate it (see Glyn's instructions :devil:) is it already painted? If so, you might want to look at giving it a good sanding and using Interlux Brightsides. Follow the prep. instructions on the can and you should be in good shape. I did this on my mast and while it may not compare to LP, it is fine for me. Of note, when I say follow the directions, using things like the brushing fluid 333 as directed makes a huge difference, in my experience, on the way this flows out and the final result. Same on what their guidance is on primer and wash down etc. The chemists know their stuff for a reason :egrin: If you're bare aluminum, you can still use something like the Brightsides, but you will have some extra primer steps involved.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh My...

Glyn and Del,

I am just back home from my morning walk with the retired sailor "geezer gang", fire up the computer, and find this LOL thread!

Researchers now say that a hearty laugh is very good for a person's health... so thanks!
:egrin:

Loren

sveinutne

Member III
From Google:
Interlux Brightside Polyurethane is the most technically advanced one-part polyurethane available. It contains unique additives that make cleaning easier and help reduce stains and abrasion.
Brightside uses Polyflow 4000, a unique polyurethane resin, which yields excellent flow and leveling characteristics as well as incredible abrasion and chemical resistance. Brightside also takes advantage of the latest in ultraviolet technology which insures longer color and gloss retention. Together these technologies create a one-part polyurethane which gives the look of a two-part polyurethane with the application ease of a one-part enamel.
---
In Norway we use different brand names like "Jotun", so Interlux might be difficult to find. But I wonder if I can use the 2 component topcoat I use on the fiberglass also on the mast. I guess I will need some primer where I sand down to bear aluminum. I do not have a paint room, so I will try to use a brush to put in on with, so the finish might not have the high glance I would like

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Del, It's the tall, verticle thing in the middle of the deck. ; - ) Glyn
I am pissed! I just put on a clean set of clothes, then read the post, and had to change them again! Have not laughed that hard since I took my boss out for the Day and he found out why they call it a boom!

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
I asked in a shop today, and he would recommend to sand down to bare aluminum where filler is needed . Then epoxy filler might be OK, but he would not recommend top coat on the mast. It would not give a nice finish. Some paint would be better.

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you so much.
I am almost a bit embarressed, that you need to give me links to norwegian pages on the web.

Emerald

Thank you so much.
I am almost a bit embarressed, that you need to give me links to norwegian pages on the web.

You make me laugh. There is a joke about men being "refrigerator blind" - you are asked to get something from the 'fridge by your girl friend/wife and you can't find it. They walk over and pull it right out from in front of your face. You never see it. Of course, turn about is to ask them to get a tool from the garage - they never seem to find that. So, we'll just say that this whole thread is having vision problems. First we have to find the mast, now we find the paint :egrin: