• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why are there different traveler widths on the Ericson 32's?

Frank G

Member II
Hi there,
I have been shopping for an Ericson 32-3 for a few months now. About 6 weeks ago I looked at a 1986 Ericson 32 which has a traveler which was about 5 or 6 feet wide, or the whole width of the cabin roof. I currently have a deposit on a 1985 Ericson 32 (you can see it on yachtworld, it's the one in Burnt Store, Florida), and it's traveler is only about 3 feet wide and is only attached to the raised center part of the cabin roof.
Did Ericson change their design, or was the one on the 86 a retrofit traveler? What is stock on the 85?

If the survey checks out, the boat will soon be mine, and I'll be looking for a Viking helmet to wear. I also may consider getting a wider traveler to retrofit on the cabin top. Has anybody else done this? Should I go with a Harken, or maybe Garhauer? I would want at least a 4 part block on each side, and ball bearing slider (if that's what you call the center car)

Thanks
Frank Gloss

Mindscape

Member III
Original Traveler

Frank,
I've got an '85 32-3 and the short traveler was what they originally came equiped with. You can see it in the brouchure picture (I think you can find the original broucher on this site). Some of the 32's I've looked at have had the traveler replaced. At least one of the guys on this site has done it, he may be able to give you some idea what it would take.

I don't think there was a factory option for a longer traveler (it's not listed on the original docuements I got with my boat from the PO).