• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why Did I Buy an Ericson??

Cutbait61

Member II
Hey yall , I figured this would be the most appropriate forum to post my (our) introduction. I'm not new to sailing but have never owned a boat as big as my E 29. My resume reads I learned to sail on a Sunfish as a kid back in the 60s then went on to own and race Hobie Cats. Then life came along and ruined all that for the next 30 years. Fast forward to 2021 and I (we) purchased a used West Wight Potter 19 and have been sailing the Tennessee River. So , the answer to the question why did I buy an E 29. My new job assignment brought me home from the road but the project is 75 miles away..150 miles round trip..so...I knew back in Dec that I was going to get transferred to my current project location..and the idea hit me..find a sailboat big enough to live on during the week!!!..and I did..she's a 1976 E 29 located on Watts Bar Lake..35 miles from work!!!...and the wife was all onboard with it because now she has a proper head and galley and room to move around in the cabin..the Potter is more or less a camping boat and she hated it. We took ownership of the E 29 3 weeks ago and we have spent the last 3 weekends getting her ready for me to move into...we are almost there.
Quiet cove sundowns while having bourbon in the cockpit , cabin hatches open for the cool mountain breeze to keep things comfortable at night , is something we look forward to in the very near future.
Regards,
Dave and JoAnn
S/V Lady Jo
E 29
Watts Bar Lake
Spring City , Tennessee

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We took ownership of the E 29 3 weeks ago and we have spent the last 3 weekends getting her ready for me to move into...we are almost there.
Quiet cove sundowns while having bourbon in the cockpit , cabin hatches open for the cool mountain breeze to keep things comfortable at night , is something we look forward to in the very near future.
Regards,
Darned good reasons for your purchase! Welcome to the "Viking" ranks. As you get into upgrades and projects or just have stories to share, check in often. Post up some cruising pix when you can.
:egrin:

Cutbait61

Member II
Darned good reasons for your purchase! Welcome to the "Viking" ranks. As you get into upgrades and projects or just have stories to share, check in often. Post up some cruising pix when you can.
:egrin:
We have some "before" pics...after pics coming soon...I will definitely share...one mod/upgrade already completed is we installed a composting toilet..the original was..ick...new cushions are being made as well...stay tuned

SaltyLeo

Hey yall , I figured this would be the most appropriate forum to post my (our) introduction. I'm not new to sailing but have never owned a boat as big as my E 29. My resume reads I learned to sail on a Sunfish as a kid back in the 60s then went on to own and race Hobie Cats. Then life came along and ruined all that for the next 30 years. Fast forward to 2021 and I (we) purchased a used West Wight Potter 19 and have been sailing the Tennessee River. So , the answer to the question why did I buy an E 29. My new job assignment brought me home from the road but the project is 75 miles away..150 miles round trip..so...I knew back in Dec that I was going to get transferred to my current project location..and the idea hit me..find a sailboat big enough to live on during the week!!!..and I did..she's a 1976 E 29 located on Watts Bar Lake..35 miles from work!!!...and the wife was all onboard with it because now she has a proper head and galley and room to move around in the cabin..the Potter is more or less a camping boat and she hated it. We took ownership of the E 29 3 weeks ago and we have spent the last 3 weekends getting her ready for me to move into...we are almost there.
Regards,
Dave and JoAnn
S/V Lady Jo
E 29
Watts Bar Lake
Spring City , Tennessee
Welcome! I am in Kentucky and looking for an E-36C , E-38-200 or possibly an E-46, (Probably more of a dream, not much information on those)

Cutbait61

Member II
Welcome! I am in Kentucky and looking for an E-36C , E-38-200 or possibly an E-46, (Probably more of a dream, not much information on those)
Hi...finding one on a lake is hard..I got lucky..and..im in the bildge today..scrubbing out the sump full of motor oil the PO drained into it...what a f$%*ing mess...new pump and hose going back in..

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably small consolation when you are up to your elbows in it, but time and $ spent on an older high quality boat is way better than the same expenditure on a cheap-a__ boat. At least you start with "good bones."
Still, bilges are not fun. :(
(When we bought our fixer-upper, there was old dirt and black mold in all sorts of hard to reach places.)

Most all of us here have "been there done that and maybe have a stained T shirt to show for it".
Better yet, once you clean it up, all your future forays into the abyss will be a LOT less traumatic. :)

Cutbait61

Member II
Probably small consolation when you are up to your elbows in it, but time and $ spent on an older high quality boat is way better than the same expenditure on a cheap-a__ boat. At least you start with "good bones."
(When we bought our fixer-upper, there was old dirt and black mold in all sorts of hard to reach places.)

Most all of us here have "been there done that and maybe have a stained T shirt to show for it".
Better yet, once you clean it up, all your future forays into the abyss will be a LOT less traumatic. :)
Ya never know what you're gonna find crawling around in the bowels of this thing...I didn't take a pic of the shower pump buried in the sludge in the very bottom...complete with a length of garden hose dead ending in the transom...???.
Not connected to anything..just there..upon removal of the original bildge pump the hose proceeded to fall apart in my hands...so..a trip to WM in Knoxville was made..an hour and 15 min ride..that particular WM is more of a convenience store..plenty of cup holders..boogie boards..T shirts..but I'm in pontoon /bass boat waters so...I did get a new pump and 1 1/8 hose ...they didn't have a man/off /auto sw so I will have to order that I guess...God I love this sh%t!!!.

Cutbait61

Member II

BTW/PS...I found an extendable shower scrubber at Wal-Mart this morning ..has a big ScotchBrite pad on the end and swivels..a 5 gal bucket of water with Zep Purple concentrate de greaser added and it did the trick..I gotta git this boat cleaned up and back together ...the wife is coming up this evening..her cow will have kittens if she sees the mess I've made.