• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Will Work for Chain

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm putting in a mooring, and discovering that by far the most expensive part of a mooring is the bottom chain. :(

400# mushroom anchor - $320
35' of 1/2" galv top chain - $100
Buoy, pennant, pickup float, shackles, etc - $250
35' of 1" bottom chain - [/b]$700[/b] :boohoo:

Ouch.

Anyone got any good secrets on where to find 1" chain for less than $15/foot?

I'd love a money-saving tip.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Do you really need 1" chain? Defender lists 3/4" G-4 High Test chain at 12.99/foot, that would be about 400 before shipping for 35'. It has a working load of 20,200 lbs. They also sell 3/4" Acco Long Link Mooring Chain with a working load of 11,000lbs for 10.49/ft. How big is your boat? Calder and some of the other salts I believe have recommendations for groundtackle although that discussion is like talking about motor oil on a car board...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Chain

Next time you wander around a spring time marine swap meet, keep an eye open for a pile of rusty-looking chain that someone is selling cheap because it's all ugly and brown. Have your tape measure with you and a way to quickly and accurately check the link size, too.
If the only problem is loss of zinc, you could perhaps do what we did last year and have our old chain sandblasted and hot-dip galvanized to "like new" appearance.
We also had both Danforth's done at the same time.

Before you head out to hunt for a chain-ish bargain, call a local galvanizing business and find out how much per pound they charge. Then you will know the practical $ limit for your chain purchase.

One of the largest NW swap meets each year is this Saturday am in Seattle and I plan to be there -- looking for just what I am not sure, but that's all part of the fun!
:)
In the past we have seen everything from wind vanes to barrels of chain to sails galore show up. Fun shopping!
:rolleyes:

Rock On,

Loren in PDX

ps: some lyrics to sing while searching:
"And if
You don't love me now
You will never love me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break, never break the chain."
:cool: by Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Around here people don't use galvanized chain for the bottom length, so regular self-colored will do.

Going by the local customs (as I think is wise when it comes to moorings) 1" chain is the way to go for anything over a 300# mooring. I don't think the huge size has anything to do with strength. The bottom chain is there for weight. The catenary of that huge-ass chain getting pulled off the seabed provides all the shock-absorbtion in a blow. And the chain really holds the mooring in place as much as the mushroom.

My boat's only 27', but I don't doubt that will vary over time. This mooring's going in for good, so I figured I'd size it for something up to about 35'. They say bottom chain lasts forever up here. Only the galvanized top chain needs replaced from time to time, so while it hurts now, at least I can forget about it in the future. Bite this bullet, and then no more mooring fees.

So is this setup different than you folks in other parts of the country use?

Last edited: